Can bring down ph

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, the first problem I see is that you are still using test strips. They may seem convenient, but they are simply horrible when it comes to accurate readings - right along side of pool store testing. You would be better served by testing with a proper test kit (i.e TF-100 link below or Taylor K-2006). It all starts with the test kit.

As for reducing pH (if actually needed) we use primarily muriatic acid, applied in the proper doses. But you must be careful. PH is one of those levels that can have severe consequences if too high or too low. For that reason, I would really encourage you to consider ordering either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit. You won't result the accuracy or dependability from either one. Nice to have you with us.

You should also know that if your TA is extremely high, it will continue to allow pH to rise as well. They work together in a way, so it's good to know both levels.

Muriatic acid would raise ph though right? I use it with masonry. I need a base.
Muratic acid reduces pH.

I agree with Pat, you really need a quality test kit. But, if you have been dumping pH down in the pool with no result I would think the need is almost immediate for a good pH test. While the cheap $5 liquid test kits (red/yellow liquid) are only fair for chlorine, they are decent for pH. WalMart has them in the seasonal pool section.

Did I say for the long run you should order a good test kit?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.