How to find out where the cable has no continuity if cutting the pool vac cable

Apr 13, 2015
Nashville
I have a pool vac and the electrical cable to the vac has no continuity. I had this problem before and they cut a part of the cable and reconnect it to the unit. If I am to cut the cable the then hook it back to the unit. How will I know where the cable is kinda 'broken' at that side? Thanks. It is a Aquabot Turbo T. Unit ok as I had serviced it last year but the cable has a problem.

Phillip,

Logic says that cables generally do not break in the middle. Since this is a robot, my guess would be the cable is broken right at the end going into the robot. It could also be broken at the power supply end if you have been constantly connecting and disconnecting that end of the cable.

Jim R.

Phillip,

Logic says that cables generally do not break in the middle. Since this is a robot, my guess would be the cable is broken right at the end going into the robot. It could also be broken at the power supply end if you have been constantly connecting and disconnecting that end of the cable.

Jim R.
My thoughts as well. Anywhere the cable makes a tight bend is a good candidate, especially if it also flexes in the same area, like right where the cable enters the housing.

Sorry, I'm not sure how your robot is internally connected. On the older Dolphin's they have a kit you can buy which has the rubber seals and new pins for the internal connector. You might want to use Google and see if the Aquabot has the same set up..

I would not cut anything until I opened it up and saw how it was connected inside the robot first.

Jim R.

Go rent a Time Domain Reflectometer and run a test on the cable. It will tell you exactly where it's broken. However time you do that you could buy several new cleaners! :p

The best advice is to slowly bend the cord near the strain reliefs, and see if you can determine where it's broken.

You'll most likely have to replace the plug because they're usually molded on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.