Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: T/A is way too high

1. Back To Top    #1

T/A is way too high

I opened my 15x30x54" pool last week. The water was clear and I let the pump run for 24hrs. Then I used my new TF-100 and here are the readings.
    On 5/4/09
    FC-2
    CC-0
    TC-2
    pH-7.8
    T/A-310
    CH-260
    CYA-30

I added 2 Gal of bleach to shock it, FC 12ppm
    On 5/5/09
    FC-5.5
    CC-0
    TC-5.5
    pH-7.8
    T/A-290
    CYA-30

On 5/6/09
    FC-7.5
    CC-0
    TC-7.5
    pH-7.8
    T/A-350!! I tested this 3 times to make sure.
    CYA-30

I added 1lb Sodium Bisulfate and will check again in the morning. How can my T/A get so high? What would you recommend I do?
    I also have 2 trichlor pucks in the inline feeder set to lowest setting. When the CYA starts getting high can I switch to bleach?
    15' x 30' 12,000 Gal above ground vinyl liner
    Hayward Pump/ Cartridge filter
    Plainfield, Illinois

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: T/A is way too high

I'd recommend you read the Pool School article on lowering TA at pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

The biggest problem it will cause you is constantly rising pH.

You can use pucks until your CYA gets where you want it, but it builds up quickly.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you notice the drops coming from the tips of the TA dropper bottle - are they irregular or different in any way from the other dropper bottles in the kit? Try wiping the tip with a damp cloth between drops - there was an issue of static electricity with the TA test bottles and this may help give more accurate results.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Try testing the TA level of your fill water. Very high TA usually comes from fill water with a high TA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I will check the bottles and test my tap water today. Looks like I'll have to order more R0009.
    Plainfield, Illinois

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

ualpow,

I believe your issue is static electricity. I've had two other reports the past few days.

If that's the problem, the R-009 reagent sort of shoots off the dropper tip and the drops are noticeably smaller, even though the dropper tips are identical throughout the kit.

The solution is to wipe the dropper tip in between each drop (or every 2-3 drops) with a damp cloth or damp paper towel. This always seems to work.

The issue is documented in Taylor's website but I'll be darned if I can figure out why it happens.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I believe your issue is static electricity. I've had two other reports the past few days.
    I haven't had any issues since I called you last Saturday. Since pulling the dropper off the tip of the bottle, blowing through it real hard, and wiping it of, the test seems to be working great.

Thanks for helping, you really went "above-and-beyond" for someone who spent $~75

- Jeff
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

8. Back To Top    #8

I tested my tap water and for kicks my RO water.
    The tap water is 350 T/A and the RO is 40 T/A.
    Now to try the fixes recommended here.
    Plainfield, Illinois

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ualpow
    I tested my tap water and for kicks my RO water.
    The tap water is 350 T/A and the RO is 40 T/A.
    Now to try the fixes recommended here.
    I'm a die-hard FW and SW Aquarium guy and use a LOT of RO water for my tanks. If you have a T/A of 40 out of your RO, it is time for a new R/O membrane.

It should be (theoretically) be less than 1.0.

Just a helpful aside.

- Jeff
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

10. Back To Top    #10

There was something in the tip of the bottle of the R-0009. I cleaned it out and wipe the tip between drops. The drops are noticeably bigger and my reading are still high but closer to normal. I am working it down with acid and then I will aerate to bring PH back inline. Thanks for the help. Can I buy R-0009 refills? Never mind I see refills on the site.
    Plainfield, Illinois

11. Back To Top    #11

I have been reading high TA (180-200)as well - and had even noticed that the drops on the R009 reagent seemed smalled than drops from the other bottles. I did not know if this is supposed to be like that or not. Is there a way to measure/weigh some number of drops to see if the reagent bottle tip is working properly?

I tested my tap water twice, and it was reading just at about 130/140.
    26K gal, vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 18" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Rite SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot

12. Back To Top    #12

You could just try doing the wipe-with-a-damp-cloth trick and see if it changes your readings; if it does, then you have the problem.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

13. Back To Top    #13

I have been running tests on tap water to see how much consitency I get. I was reading 130/140, but when I wiped the tip i go 90. After reading some more, I think I have not been testing properly. I was not holding the droppers completely vertical.
    26K gal, vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 18" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Rite SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot