New Pool - Orlando Florida

25 gallons of chlorine, WOW, just WOW. Just wondering is that a typo?

That's 145 to 210 ppm FC (8.25% and 12.5% respectively)

In very round numbers, pH 5.6. You don't have to concern yourself with testing for a few days, though at least the chlorine will burn off quick from the sunshine.

And the OK number is 64 ppm CYA. Let those 3 pucks dissolve (safer to leave the inline chlorinator closed), but don't put any more pucks in. Switch to bleach until you have the SWG.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh OK, phew!! I shoulda asked that right away, lol. So 21 ppm FC probably. Not a worry.

The pH is still too low for swimming. Check it out and wait until you see 7.2 on your test before swimming.

Thanks. I'll be leaving the pump on overnight and use my test kit in the morning.

Now what to do with the 25 lbs of pucks I bought. They are individually wrapped so I can use them up in the hot tub I hope to purchase in the future..

They keep fine as long as they're dry. Good for vacations, absences and the like. Also, raising CYA as needed in the future. Hey are you right on a golf course there? I am sinfully envious of your pool!!

At least he showed up :rolleyes: Now if you do not remember or understand how something works just shoot us a pic and we can help you out I am sure.

How did he put the CYA in? IF he poured it into the pool you need to start brushing the mess out of it to get it off the bottom and help it dissolve.

Kmi:cat:

They keep fine as long as they're dry. Good for vacations, absences and the like. Also, raising CYA as needed in the future. Hey are you right on a golf course there? I am sinfully envious of your pool!!

They are in a good closing pail and will keep them in the garage.
Yes, the lanai looks down the fairway and the pool looks at the lake.

At least he showed up :rolleyes: Now if you do not remember or understand how something works just shoot us a pic and we can help you out I am sure.

How did he put the CYA in? IF he poured it into the pool you need to start brushing the mess out of it to get it off the bottom and help it dissolve.
Kmi
icon_cat.gif

Thanks Kim. I'm glad I made it this far with your help and everyone on TFP.

He just dumped it in while his son was vacuuming the pool connected through the skimmer.
I think a lot of it is in the skimmer basket from the feature pump which I turned off. I'll look at it in the morning and clean it out.
PB also showed me how to clean the filter. It was loaded with dirt from the plumbing.

It's the morning after the start-up and I've been busy.

All the stabilizer is dissolved but found some in the feature pump strainer basket. Emptied the basket but could not get the lid back on so no pictures of the sheer waterfalls yet. Going back out there to try something I read in the manual before posting for help - the strainer basket rib has to be aligned with the notch on the "Volute" (Never heard that word before but see it's the plumbing connection).

Tested with OTO and readings are off the chart. TC is brown and PH is yellow. More tests later.
I shut-off the chlorinater.

Ran the circulation pump all night at speed 1 (750 rpm). This morning the water level in the strainer was 3/4 with a big air space at top. Running ok and quiet. I increased speed to 2 (1500 rpm) no air space bubble anymore. Do you think this is a problem. I will probably be running at the 750 for efficiency or adjust it slightly higher.

Going back out there and will be back online ASAP.

Got the pump strainer basket back in and the cover closed.

Waterfalls are running and will take pictures.

Testkit the PB gave me is possibly the worst anyone received. It's the LaMotte Insta-Test but only 10 strips. Says: sample only not for resale. tests FC PH & TA.

Glad I got my TF-100 ready to test when things settle down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pump will probably clear on high speed, and then stay clear. No problem unless that doesn't happen, or if air was coming out the returns, other than as that air is cleared out.

Your pool looks amazing. Nice design and build. Wow :)

Look at those bubblers! Man they are up there! I bet they sound neat!

The watersheers are awesome as well. Can you have the bubblers and sheers on at different times? Which one do you like the sound of best?

Kim:cat:

Thanks everybody for wishes and will answer your questions later. Haven't been online much today because I'm having chemistry problems. I went to Pumping Station Forum yesterday and got answers to my pump and pressure concerns. But I have my first reprimand filed with 0 points for asking 2 questions that were somewhat related in different threads. They merged the threads and I asked and they told me how to change the title.

So I will post my chemistry problem here and hope Kim and everyone can help before starting a different thread:

PB told me not to test anything for a week. But, this morning I did the OTO test again. My TC was 0 (ZERO) after being off the OTO chart (Brown) yesterday. PH is still below the chart probably around 6.

How could TC drop from 15 - 20 in one day?

I turned up the Chlorinator with 7 pucks in it from off to 5. I added a gallon of old 8% chlorine I had around turned on both pumps high and just tested again several hours later. TC is still 0.

Got some 10% Chlorine from Wal-Mart and added a gallon jug. Per pool math that should get me to 6 or 7.
Both Pumps on high for about an hour now.

I don't know why this happened unless the 4 days waiting for PB to start-up caused Algae.
Or maybe PB put old CYA in the pool. Haven't done CYA test yet.

Thanks everybody for wishes and will answer your questions later. Haven't been online much today because I'm having chemistry problems. I went to Pumping Station Forum yesterday and got answers to my pump and pressure concerns. But I have my first reprimand filed with 0 points for asking 2 questions that were somewhat related in different threads. They merged the threads and I asked and they told me how to change the title.

So I will post my chemistry problem here and hope Kim and everyone can help before starting a different thread:

PB told me not to test anything for a week. But, this morning I did the OTO test again. My TC was 0 (ZERO) after being off the OTO chart (Brown) yesterday. PH is still below the chart probably around 6.

How could TC drop from 15 - 20 in one day?

I turned up the Chlorinator with 7 pucks in it from off to 5. I added a gallon of old 8% chlorine I had around turned on both pumps high and just tested again several hours later. TC is still 0.

Got some 10% Chlorine from Wal-Mart and added a gallon jug. Per pool math that should get me to 6 or 7.
Both Pumps on high for about an hour now.

I don't know why this happened unless the 4 days waiting for PB to start-up caused Algae.
Or maybe PB put old CYA in the pool. Haven't done CYA test yet.

I can't believe that he told you not to test for a week. I got the impression that the PH was quite important to get in the right range and to test daily. For the 1st 2-3 weeks, I believe I had to add acid almost every day. I would lower it to 7.2 and it would climb to 7.6-7.8 in one day. Lower it again, rinse and repeat. Since you are on the opposite end of the spectrum right now, you will need to do the opposite.

Without knowing how much CYA is in the pool, it is hard to know what the FC should be and if it is being burn off quickly due to not having any.

Maybe add enough chlorine to get it to 4ppm, test in 30 min and see if anything registers. If nothing then something is consuming it because the lack of CYA will not cause it to go to from 4 to zero in 30 min but organic growth could.

- - - Updated - - -

And by the way, while doing this testing to figure out what is going on, you should turn off the chlorinator otherwise it will skew the results.

I tested with OTO TC is 5.

Using LaMotte Insta-Test "Guess Strip" FC is 3 TA is 0 and PH is 6.

I shut off the Chlorinator. Will do more accurate testing in the morning with the TF-100 test kit.
But would like to test the CYA now. There is no sunlight and this will be my first time doing that difficult test.

Note: The PB put muriatic acid to get PH to below 6 where he wants it initially.
The TC yesterday a.m. was 15 to 20 and this morning was 0.
Pool is 86 degrees, full sun but my fine screen cuts sunlight in half.

FC can burn off very quickly from sunshine until the CYA is in solution. I think it was added to the pool by just dumping it in, so that would slow the dissolving down somewhat. It sounds possible that algae got underway as well, but you'd think his hot start would have knocked it back pretty hard.

Anyway, switch over to your drop-based testing and do an overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT) to get the answer. For the test to work properly, you need to follow the instructions carefully. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

I got ya! I will keep an eye on you. I will even put you on email notifi so I get a notice that way as well!

Run a FULL set of tests. It is :brickwall: that the PB told you to not test for that long. He is just inviting algae to come live with you.

Get some/quite a bit of liquid chlorine so you are ready to chase that FC back up to where it needs to be.

WHY does your PB want your PH so low and for how long? That can be harmful for your plaster it is not done the correct way.

Maybe he is thinking it will climb up like said above. It should be going up each day from your new plaster AND all of the fun things running.

BUT the pucks can push PH down as well so maybe they are canceling each other out??

John! Good idea for the OCLT! Smart!

We got ya!

Kim:cat:

Just double-checking that you used the broom to push the CYA around on the bottom, and the granules/powder is not detectable on the bottom any more? CYA does not diffuse well, so it might have sat in the bottom depending how the water circulation is set up. If there's a main drain or a cleaner wandering around, this is unlikely to be a factor, but it came to mind when I was reading another thread.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.