Pretty big wrinkles - Liner lifespan?

JumboShrimp

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
Opened my pool yesterday - Central PA - 16x32 with a 8' deep diving end - built in '08 - Pool Pilot SWG
I use the test kit I got here and keep my water chemistry pretty good - I LOVE my SWG pool. Maintenance is minimal.
I've had wrinkles for ever and I've tried the plunger trick with no results. There are 2 and they are both on sloped areas. The big one seems bigger than when I closed in Oct. last year. Did some searching and found an old post that detailed a way to remove em by putting water UNDER the liner but there are no pics, I guess the post is too old? (A Solution for Big Wrinkles)
I thought about calling the water truck in to remove some water so I can work on them then put it back - I don't want to start all over with new water. If I take all the water out I might as well just replace the liner now and get it over with. If you look at my pictures you can see that they are shaped like MONEY - in other words - I think this is NOT an easy or cheap problem to fix.
How long does a vinyl liner last before you should replace it? My gut tells me that if I develop a leak its gonna be at a wrinkle and I'll be re-lining the pool in an emergency type of situation - NOT looking forward to THAT!
Any suggestions on how to remove or reduce them? Is removing some water a bad idea? Is there a way to see the pics from the old post (2008). Lots of people commended the guy's technique and it seemed like a problem solver - just hard to follow without the images to back up the words.
Thanks in advance for any input -
JS :salut:

Attachments

• Wrinlke (1).jpg
    Wrinlke (1).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Wrinlke (2).jpg
    Wrinlke (2).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 104
hey there, I have a couple wrinkles also, I have no idea how long the liner can last but if it does not bother you then I would not worry about it... you would have to empty almost all the water out to get them out (less than an inch probably)

Thanks for the reply, CowBoy.
Any other thoughts? How long does a liner last? Are the wrinkles the beginning of the end?
What about removing some water to try and smooth em out?
TIA

I have the same thing, wrinkles - 5 or 6 wrinkles no more than 1/2 wide, but about 2-3 feet long. I am hopefully that the warm water will sort of expand the floor wrinkles,, but I am not holding my breath.
There are a couple techniques I've been reading out,, one involves draining some amount of water and using a toilet plunger, getting on one side or the other of the wrinkle and 'spreading the wrinkle out',,after thinking about this, I doubt this will be possible unless there is very little (like an inch or two) of water in the pool.

The other option would be to drain about a foot out, and pull the liner away from the track in a small section and using a hose, pump water behind the liner.. That apparently would make spreading the wrinkle out easier,, there is a post on this website that the person details their procedure.

Liners very in age, mine was installed last summer - my co-worker has a liner going on 14 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.