24 Hour Ozonator With Swg - Keep Ozone On Or Off?

DBlume

Apr 22, 2015
Spokane/WA
We just recently bought a 440 gallon Divine hot tub with a 24 hour circulation pump and Del Ozonator. I really like the simplicity of chlorine and good experience with my pool swg so I decided to purchase a ControlOMatic ChlorMaker DO. I have recently learned how ozonators will oxidize the chlorine along with everything else, I just haven't been able to find the rate at which it will oxidize the chlorine. As far as bather load we will prob use it at least every night or every other night (1-3 bathers).

I have also read that the ozone can break down a spa cover and pillows faster, is this true? How much faster? Is this reason enough to unplug the ozonator?

If you're using the spa very regularly, the ozonator can help eliminate chlorination by-products (combined chlorine species). Ideally, the ozonator would only run during and for a while after each soak but in a heavily (daily) used tubs, it won't have a great effect on how much chlorine demand you have. If the spa were only lightly used, such as once a week, it would reduce some chlorine demand to disable the ozonator when not in use. Ozonators work well in small volume situations like a spa but aren't necessary in an outdoor pool where CC is readily oxidized by sunlight.

I don't have any hard numbers on how much chlorine demand will increase when an ozonator is run 24/7 but there may be a few threads detailing this if you use the search box to find them.

I also don't know of any evidence of ozone increasing or causing breakdown of spa covers and pillows. I'd use the search box for that as well!

I have the same exact setup, I used the ControlOMatic ChlorMaker IL (inline) and I love it.. I also have an ozonator and I just left it on... it has discolored my cover but nothing else.. once I dialed in my SWG run time (number 4) it has worked great.. I am going on year 4 with my cover, year 2 with the SWG and year 6 with my tub...

I use my hot tub every night from Aug to Mar, About 1 time every other month my CC's go above .5 and I bring my tub to SLAM level and let it drop down on its own, works every time :)

If you're using the spa very regularly, the ozonator can help eliminate chlorination by-products (combined chlorine species). Ideally, the ozonator would only run during and for a while after each soak but in a heavily (daily) used tubs, it won't have a great effect on how much chlorine demand you have. If the spa were only lightly used, such as once a week, it would reduce some chlorine demand to disable the ozonator when not in use. Ozonators work well in small volume situations like a spa but aren't necessary in an outdoor pool where CC is readily oxidized by sunlight.

Yeah I have searched around and came to that conclusion that intermittently would be best but not sure if I have that option with the Balboa spa pack installed, I will have to look more into it.

I don't have any hard numbers on how much chlorine demand will increase when an ozonator is run 24/7 but there may be a few threads detailing this if you use the search box to find them.

I also don't know of any evidence of ozone increasing or causing breakdown of spa covers and pillows. I'd use the search box for that as well!

Thank you, I did search but as you said I was unable to find any hard numbers. Since it is still so new and we use it almost every night I will leave it on as you recommend, maybe when it is not so well used I will try turning it off to see a difference.

I have the same exact setup, I used the ControlOMatic ChlorMaker IL (inline) and I love it.. I also have an ozonator and I just left it on... it has discolored my cover but nothing else.. once I dialed in my SWG run time (number 4) it has worked great.. I am going on year 4 with my cover, year 2 with the SWG and year 6 with my tub...

I use my hot tub every night from Aug to Mar, About 1 time every other month my CC's go above .5 and I bring my tub to SLAM level and let it drop down on its own, works every time :)

Glad to hear the same setup works well. Right now mine is on level 7 and keeping the background level in check but I have had to add some chlorine after good soak but I kind of expected that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.