New Pool Choice & Advice

May 11, 2015
Martinsburg, WV
We are getting ready to purchase an above ground pool. Planned on a nice metal/resin one, but the costs are astronomical. Looking at Coleman and Intext 18' or 22'. Any advice there on size or brand? Also going to have excavator do the leveling and sand. Anything I need to be aware of? We'll have to have a water truck in (we have a well.) Any advice on pumps or systems or installation? We're brand new at this and would appreciate any help we can get. Thanks in advance!

Re: New Pool Choice & Advice

The Intex and Coleman are interchangeable. I wouldn't be surprised if they came from the same factory.

The pumps that are included are usually undersized somewhat, so consider getting a larger pump and filter. Walmart.com: Save money. Live better. has a good selection. Consider getting a 2500 gph pump with a sand filter, you won't regret it. A SWG is nice too - no hauling chlorine (bleach) from the store. Avoid the pump/SWG combo units. If the pump goes out, you're stuck having to replace both of them.

A Hayward thru the wall skimmer is a nice upgrade too. It does a much better job keeping your pool clean than a floating skimmer, and you can use a real pool vacuum or robot with it. Cutting a hole in your liner is no big deal. Search here, hundreds of us have done it. I've never read about anyone messing it up.

Oh yeah, order one of the recommended test kits right away.

Keep in mind that if you dislike the pump/filter that came with the pool, it's really easy to replace it with something better. Just unhook the hoses. If you skimp on the surface prep, fixing that is impossible. So really concentrate on getting the site right. Dig down to level; building up doesn't usually work. Every year we see posts saying, "My pool is sinking on one side. How do I fix it?" Sadly, fixing means emptying and dismantling. This is one of my favorite threads on the subject of levelling I need advice on leveling my ground. You can use the search box to find more threads on any subject.

Size? Go bigger. If you follow our methods, your water will be so crystal clear and sparkling, so non-irritating and odorless, that all the neighbors will want to use it. So you'll need room for all your new friends. ;)

We've had many good reports on the intex sand filters and SWG. Go big on both. Bigger filter means less cleaning, bigger SWG means less pump run time to keep the chlorine levels up, which means smaller electric bill.

If you want to go first-class, install a through-wall skimmer and hard plumb the pool. Use the search box. I know there are several threads with photos.

Order a test kit right now, so you'll have it to test the fill water as soon as it's circulating. Hopefully, it will be metal-free.

Keep in mind that if you dislike the pump/filter that came with the pool, it's really easy to replace it with something better. Just unhook the hoses. If you skimp on the surface prep, fixing that is impossible. So really concentrate on getting the site right. Dig down to level; building up doesn't usually work. Every year we see posts saying, "My pool is sinking on one side. How do I fix it?" Sadly, fixing means emptying and dismantling. This is one of my favorite threads on the subject of levelling I need advice on leveling my ground. You can use the search box to find more threads on any subject.

Size? Go bigger. If you follow our methods, your water will be so crystal clear and sparkling, so non-irritating and odorless, that all the neighbors will want to use it. So you'll need room for all your new friends. ;)

We've had many good reports on the intex sand filters and SWG. Go big on both. Bigger filter means less cleaning, bigger SWG means less pump run time to keep the chlorine levels up, which means smaller electric bill.

If you want to go first-class, install a through-wall skimmer and hard plumb the pool. Use the search box. I know there are several threads with photos.

Order a test kit right now, so you'll have it to test the fill water as soon as it's circulating. Hopefully, it will be metal-free.

Was curious about the Coleman pool as well. We've had an Intex for several years (usually go larger each time we replace!), but saw the Coleman and was curious what others thought. I agree with SWG and sand pump - both make a HUGE difference in your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.