Hot tub went from blue to green in 30 minutes - could it be icing?

marcgr

Bronze Supporter
Oct 4, 2015
Austin, TX
Hi,

Just had a birthday party for my 7 year old. We had about a dozen 7-year-olds in and out of the hot tub and between the hot tub and the pool for the last 2 hours.

I changed the water in the tub 2 weeks ago and installed a new filter at that time. Started off with Brom Bank that I shocked appropriately. Since then the bromine level has been kept up in the 6-10 region by floater with bromine tabs. I balanced everything this morning and cleaned the filter
- Bromine about 10 (in anticipation of bather load),
- Combined Bromine about 4 (not sure why),
- TA 70,
- CH was 50, but I added enough calcium to take it to 110.
- PH 7.5,
- borates about 20.
After about 90 minutes of kids in the hot tub, I tested the bromine and it was down to about 1, so I kicked all the kids out and added 1/3 cup of 10% chlorinating liquid. After that, I noticed the hot tub take on a green hue. I hit it with some more chlorinating liquid, and it just got worse.

I'm thinking one of the kids had some icing on them and that it's icing that is dyeing the water green.

Any other reasonable explanation?

Thanks,

Marc

@Donaldson, it's a clear green. No mineral system nor algaecide - just bromine bank (to start), bromine tabs, bleach (to oxidize), dry acid, baking soda, and borax.

@zea3, I haven't added any copper, but I don't think any of the kids would have had any on them. There was a LOT of food coloring in the icing...

@gwegan, City water. Haven't had it tested but I haven't had the problem before.

Thanks all!

I don't think there's any chance 500+ gallons of water takes on that noticeable a color change from someone transferring in some cake icing with food color.
Any chance one of the kids had a brand new green swim suit ?? If it was never washed and cheaply dyed it might be able to bleed off enough color in the hot chlorinated water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.