Brand new to pools not chemistry :)

Thanks sir.

So I filled enough water in the pump to get alot of air out of the sand filter but wasnt able to get the pump to pull from the pool yet. I did learn to use a Jandy valve thanks youtube. Can the algae block the returns? Time to do some more reading and figuring.

PSA I just went to wal mart to get my chemicals. They had pool chlorine for 2.50 each. I put the bleach back and grabbed those it's 10% and 50 cents a gallon cheaper on sale.

She is running! I emptied the skimmer baskets 4 times in 15 minutes. Shut it down as it was late when we got everything right. The turbo clean unit leaks a little and the pb4 booster leaks but I can isolate that until I decide if I want to replace it.

Tomorrow post work I will run it and will probably add stablizer and a pic or two. I have everything I need to get the slam done this weekend so I am targeting Saturday evening or Sunday for the start. Probably Sunday as I have an engagement Sat.

I am not really sure what I want to do about the turbo clean should I just rebuild that or buy a gasket and make sure it seals whether or not it works. Couple hundred bucks for the kit. The space should be nice when I get the work done gotta keep myself going.

One last thing. Depending on how much I get to work on the setup tomorrow can I drop the cya in and let it dissolve then turn off the pump or is that a no no? By Sunday I'll be ready for 24/7 usage, all major debris should be cleared.

Jared

Been reading more. Should I adjust pH and slam or add stabilizer before slamming? Original plan was to add stabilizer just want to make sure I am not wasting chemicals. Although best I can tell it shouldn't matter. But I have no experience :).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You should adjust the pH to 7.2 before starting the SLAM. Be sure to test all levels before you start as well. Post them here in this thread.

Again, make sure your CYA is 0 by testing before adding CYA. Most of the time in a swamp, CYA is consumed by bacteria, but it may not be. You should also try a couple gallons of bleach before adding CYA to confirm that there is or is not ammonia present, like you mentioned earlier. It's a good idea before adding CYA. If you add enough bleach to get to 10 ppm (per Pool Math) and after 30 minutes of circulation you have low FC, 5+ CC, that's a good indication you have some ammonia to deal with.

Once you get the CYA in a sock to start dissolving you can start the SLAM. If you added enough to the sock to get to 30 ppm, assume it is 30 right away for SLAM level reference.

Tested before I added all results were the same as earlier in the week. Grabbed my needs off pool math and started to it.

Adjusted pH to around 7.0. I missed the mark slightly so I was hoping the bleach would compensate, added bleach and waited my 30 minutes. Test results after

FC 1
TC 2
CC 1

Based on what I can recall that is a good sign. Please correct me if I am wrong. I took the 30 minutes to brush the pool as best I could, hard to see 9 ft down. I also had to backflush the sand filter 3 times tonight. It went up 10-15 psi in like 15 minutes.

I took another pH reading after I checked the Chlorine. It was 7.4. I'll start logging results tomorrow daily, I am going to need double the amount of bleach I bought. Will post a full battery of results tomorrow afternoon along with a photo. The pool is already looking a little better I think, a long ways to go yet.

Side question I have around 30 ft of discharge hose running my filter to the hill outside. The hose has a few holes in it anyone have a recommendation for a stronger material. I can grab one online with decent reviews but I was hopeing someone could just point me in the right direction.

Jared

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jared, Joel (JVTrain) and I are concerned that you may have ammonia because you added bleach earlier, then only had 1 FC remaining after 30 minutes. That's a big drop. So tomorrow, go ahead and grab some more bleach, then please perform the following steps to ensure you remove any suspected ammonia and can begin your SLAM:
1. Begin a SLAM by dosing FC up to SLAM level. If your CYA test is showing as zero (perhaps already converted to ammonia), use a SLAM/Shock FC of 10. Do not add additional CYA at this point.
2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
a. If FC loss is greater than 50%, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
b. IF FC loss is 50% or less, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
3. If CYA is below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm.
4. Continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.

If you perform this 10-min drill correctly, you'll complete a huge hurdle. But make sure you have a good amount of bleach available, or that you can get more quickly if needed. You'll be doing some (pool) babysitting tomorrow morning. :)

Will do sir. I'll also study the slam paper a little more. I was just beat tonight it's been a long day. I have around 6 or 8 more gallons. I suspect that'd do the ammonia but will go grab at least that much tomorrow evening. I never added CYA so it's still 0.

I planned on alot of pool baby sitting this weekend. Thanks for following up. I hope someone else is learning from this besides me ;). I have read a few of these as time permits, alot of good info here.

Currently slamming went through one ammonia cycle and it went 10 to 5. Did another one and FC was 10, currently cycling in the CYA. Then onto the vacuuming. I can see the algae starting to grey some as I scoop. Will post pics and levels later once tested

Pic this morning around 8 am

So I went ahead and started today, watching tv isn't my thing. I grabbed 8 more bottles of bleach and went at it. As I stated I added CYA and even shorted 4 OZ I didnt have. The murky water could have added to this, close enough though.

CYA=35
FC=20 ish
pH=7.2 before slam

I over added bleach on that one, maybe itll do something before it goes up in vapor. I am to the point now I'll start weighing everything :), I was being slack. I was planning on leaving my pump running but the filter gets to gummed up. Baseline for me is around 17 after 45 minutes or an hour it goes to around 30. You can make it 5 minutes if you vacuum. It's looking better and I can see a little more of the cleaning poles today than I could yesterday. I spent around 4-5 hours today so that was a pretty decent amount of time. At some point I'll be able to let the pump run but 30 psi makes me nervous. The jets basically stop at that point too I have noticed.

Thanks
Jared

It's great that you can see the bottom so well, even though you're still so early in SLAM mode. I suspect your filter pressure will continue to increase as it picks-up dead algae that is coagulating within the filter. This may be annoying at first since it might be quite heavy, but eventually should taper-off. So now you're just at that point where you "maintain" the FC for your CYA. If your CYA is closer to 30, then the FC should be 12. If your CYA is rounded-up to 40, then increase your FC to 16. Keep it there, sweep, etc, and you will continue to see improvements. If you have anything in the water (ladder, pool light - including behind it), make sure to check those hiding spots as well. They can be a gold mine for algae. Good luck, and have a nice evening.

Good call on the recirculate, didn't even dawn on me even though I knew it was there. I have ladder steps that are built into the wall, cant seem to scrub them very well as the water clears I should be able to do a little better hopefully. I also found an auto water filler yesterday opened it up today no clue if it works but the ball raises and lowers by hand so I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.