Walk on lids for cover vault

Jan 10, 2016
CA
Hello!

After interviewing six pool builders over the past year I have decided to contract our own pool. I have so many questions but the subs I have hired have been so helpful. Our pool is being dug as I write this :)! Everyone is very excited. Our pool will be 17x38 with spa and shelf inside the pool with an auto cover (encapsulated track).

I am set on using brick as the coping (2 bricks back to back for a total of 16"). However, I have now encountered a potential problem from a design perspective and would like to propose to the TFP community. Because we want the bricks we will need walk on lids to hold the bricks in place. The tile sub we will hire said that we will be able to see the metal trays under the bricks - herein lies my design concern. I know it is very minor but the vision is the brick butted up to grass - no metal involved :)

Does anyone have brick with trays? I would like to see a picture of what this might look like and/or have any input or thoughts on this.

This is my first post so I am hoping I am doing this right!

Can you show us a picture of the tray used by the cover brand you are purchasing? Along with the sizes it comes in...and if they can build custom sized trays (Coverstar says they can do this).

That will be helpful to further the discussion.

I believe the crux of the issue is that you will need to have bricks covering the back wall of the cover vault that, together with the bricks covering the opening itself, will serve to mimic the coping on the rest of he pool. It should be no issue itself to have grass go up to the bricks on the cover vault back wall. There will be some gap, naturally, between the cover bricks and the bricks on the cover vault wall, since they are two distinct entities.

Fine first post by the way and welcome!

I don't have pictures of it but you will have to have some sort of tray to support the bricks to be able to walk on them. I would recommend a lip at the front edge of the tray to help hold the brick in place so the are less likely to slide toward the pool and/or cover. We do a lot of two foot wide poured stamped stained lids to walk on and they look so much nicer than aluminum lids

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.