sport pools-how deep?

Apr 1, 2016
muskogee, ok
I have question I hope someone with a sport pool will assist me with. I have two small children, ages 5 and 7 who can swim "some". Older can swim better than the younger. My question is will a sport pool with a gradual continual slope be a good choice for us or should we stick with a hopper type bottom. My fear is that when other children come over and also for my kids will they always be sliding toward the so called deep middle. I have had a hopper type in the past and remember that when you step on the slope you just slide down or swim out. Will there be enough shallow part for them to play around on in a 16x32 rectangle with a 5.5 ft. middle. I realize that for adults or older kids this won't be an issue at all and will get better with age. I have never been in a sport type pool so have no reference on how steep the gradual descent toward the middle will be and if you can always stand still. Thank you for any help you can provide on this.

Hi JR, welcome to TFP! I would say the design would not be that great if you want a shallow area where the young one can play and splash around in without having to worry about staying afloat. I have a sports pool and I think my shallowest part is around 3.5 feet (although my water is a tad high right now). I will try to take some depth measurements at various points and get back to you, but a more gradual slope would probably be better for you if you don't anticipate him hitting a growth spurt or improving his swimming soon.

Our pool is 3-1/2x5x4. 3-1/2 is too shallow and nobody goes there. Especially not the kids, we have kids in our pool from age 5 to 16. Kids are everywhere and most love to hang out on the benches around the pool. They throw stuff, catch stuff, jump off, climb out, rest, etc. Hold a tape measure up to everyone to see how shallow 3-1/2 is. 4-5 is perfect for pretty much all adults to find a good depth to stand up in. If I ever build another pool it will be 4x5x4 with a couple of more benches than the 3 we have now. Pics in my build thread, link in sig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.