Intex Pump Issue

Jul 1, 2014
New Orleans, LA
After using the pump to vacuum the pool, I switched it back to filter and now its not pumping. I first checked the intake which was clear. I then disconnected the lines to check to check for a clog, but nothing, strainer is clean too. So I figured it was the pump, luckily for me I have a friend with the same setup, so I borrowed his to test. Come to find out same thing.... Could I have clogged the sand filter to the point water will not go through???? After cleaning the pool, I was not able to back wash because the pump would not pump. I have not pulled the top on the filter, but thats the only thing I can think....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Im not sure as ive never dealt with a sand filter but im sure someone will be along to help.

20pilot, is your set-up like this one: 16 3000 Gal Sand Filter Pump - Intex If so, let's clarify and check a few things:
- When you say you tried with your friends set-up, I'm assuming you simply switched out the pump only (which includes the pump's strainer basket) correct?
- Is water flowing at all into the pump and strainer basket?
- When you vacuumed, was there a large amount of debris in the pool, or just your typical few leaves, etc?
- When you began the process, did you ensure to turn-off the pump before switching the filter's multi-port settings?
- Silliest question of all (but have to ask) is the multiport valve placed back on filter? :)
- Have you been doing the appropriate backwash and rinse after vacuuming or when the filter pressure rises 20-25%?

Could it have clogged? I don't really see how, not with debris anyways since that pump strainer basket should catch most hard stuff first. To hear that a pump is "not pumping", my first instinct would be is it primed and moving water (pump basket full of water). Let us know if you are still having problems, or if any of these questions make sense or help. We'll go from there.

Oh, and you can always try this as well: Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Thanks for the responses. Texas, here's the answers to your questions"

20pilot, is your set-up like this one: 16 3000 Gal Sand Filter Pump- Yes, That's the pump/filter I am using.
- When you say you tried with your friends set-up, I'm assuming you simply switched out the pump only (which includes the pump's strainer basket) correct? Yes, I just borrowed his and hooked up the two hoses, plugged in.
- Is water flowing at all into the pump and strainer basket? Yes, I have intex valves/ hoses coming off of the pool, but I custom made some adapters to connect to pvc. The pump/filter/heater/generator are on a concrete pad about 5' from the pool. Everything has worked flawlessly for a year.
- When you vacuumed, was there a large amount of debris in the pool, or just your typical few leaves, etc? There were some leaves, I would say above normal, but not a ton. I took a net to the bulk of it.
- When you began the process, did you ensure to turn-off the pump before switching the filter's multi-port settings? Yes, I always turn off the pump before changing filter settings and always turn it in the same direction.
- Silliest question of all (but have to ask) is the multiport valve placed back on filter? Yes it is back on filter, however there is no movement of water on any function, including backwash.
- Have you been doing the appropriate backwash and rinse after vacuuming or when the filter pressure rises 20-25%? Yes, I normally back wash around 15%. However while vacuuming I am not sure what the psi got too. Now, when I turn the pump on I get no reading.

When I open the valves, water immediately gets to the basket and begins to fill the filter. I even tried opening the return and using a hose in the intake to fill everything. Once it was all filled and overflowing I switched the pump on. All of the water just sits stagnant and does not circulate. I am at a loss...

To refresh my memory, I watched this video 16 3000 Gal Sand Filter Pump - Intex. Pretty cut & dry really. So if water can flow from the inlet hole/suction hose TO the pump & pump strainer basket, and it's filling the pump basket with water via gravity, then we'd look next to ensure the pump is running and "pulling" water in while "pushing" water into the sand filter. You've already swapped-out pumps (from a friend) so I don't think it's a pump issue. If you were really adventurous, I guess you could disconnect the pump hose going from the pump to the filter and turn it on just for a (quick) second to see the water come out. But I suspect that's working fine.

So if water is leaving the discharge (pressure) side of the pump, that would leave the filter. Have you tried moving the multiport valve to ALL the other settings - especially waste just to see if any water is passing through the other channels? (Disregard - you already answered that question above). If water still cannot travel, perhaps it is getting blocked either within the multiport valve of within the filter itself. I would reference that link above on how to deep clean the filter. Perhaps that will help.

Well just to update everyone, I went ahead and "deep cleaned" the intex sand filter. I was amazed with the amount of debris that came out. I reassembled everything, opened the valves and just like that I was up and running. I have been running it for about 24 hours non stop with no problems. Thanks for all the help!

Well just to update everyone, I went ahead and "deep cleaned" the intex sand filter. I was amazed with the amount of debris that came out. I reassembled everything, opened the valves and just like that I was up and running. I have been running it for about 24 hours non stop with no problems. Thanks for all the help!

Glad to hear you're up n running!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.