New Pool w/ Falls & Slide in Baton Rouge, LA

Well another bust today due to weather forecasts that spread LIES. The guys showed up to seal the notched beam sections, but didn't quite finish before leaving. It didn't actually rain until about 6pm here. So frustrating! Well, at least the forecast looks good for tomorrow and Saturday, which the stone co. owner said they would be working to finish sealing and placing the planter stones so that they can start grading dirt on Monday. We shall see.

Partially sealed notches...

I'm not sure what happened yesterday, but it was another beautiful day to work on someone else's pool apparently. They did, however, show up today around 1:00 and managed to almost finish the planter rocks. One good thing about them doing it today though was that I was home and able to give them input on how I wanted the stones placed. It came out to be a little more grout spacing than I was hoping for, but still looks good I think.

One issue my wife and I noticed yesterday though was the fact that the coping/beam around the bench in the deep end comes out to a point in two places...one much worse than the other. I talked to one of the stone guys today and he seemed think it wouldn't be too hard to cut back the pool wall and replace the flagstones/tile in those to spots in order to make the inside edge of the coping have a more continuous curvature and also be less of a safety concern. Here are a few pictures below showing the areas of concern with the proposed fix drawn on the picture. Also pictures from the work today.

Planter wall pics from the day...

Well it's been a blur the last few days. They managed to finish the stone work (for now) Monday morning. Then the grading and forming started. That's when we discovered an issue with one of the catch basins being way too low relative to coping elevation. After batting around about 3 different options, we landed on getting my drainage guy back out to tie in the down spot to the drain pipe directly, remove the catch basin (and move into lawn), add a new smaller basin closer to the existing slab, and tie in planter drain line to main line. This is all scheduled to happen tomorrow morning. I hope it does, but I have my doubts.

So the form guys showed up again today to finish grading and start forming, which they did. Then out of nowhere a 13 minute monsoon decides to give us the big middle finger. That didn't stop the electrical guys though! They managed to get a few trenches dug and conduit laid, but not before creating some very interesting terrain (which now needs to be fixed). I'm still hopeful we'll be able to pour by Friday, but it really all depends on the weather and crews getting the work done in time. We'll see. Here are some photos of the "progress".

Proposed Drainage Fix:

Getting the catch basins moved and tied in downspout is a good idea. Must make sure the one in the grass is easy to see and clean out and around. I would think of putting some concrete around it to help with mowing and grass control.

That stone work looks nice so far!

Kim

A few updates...

1. Rain, rain and more rain = challenges, delays, rivers and mud!

2. After much back and forth, we decided not to move the catch basin by the shop, but they did move the hidden drain by the existing patio over about a foot so that it is in the absolute corner. The challenge now is the figure out the grade due to some pretty large elevation differences between my existing patio and the coping. I may have to live with 1/2" per foot grade in one spot over about a 6' width in the decking. Steeper than I'd like, but it may be the only way to keep water from standing (very complicated to describe in writing and even on drawings).

Before

After

3. I'm still trying to get the stone guys back out to fix a few outside edges of the coping. Not to be confused with the inside coping edge fix near the bench in the deep end. That will be fixed, but can wait until after deck pouring.

Outside coping edges

4. The electricians came back out to "finish" running conduit, but there is still quite a few things that need to be fixed. They ran two conduits over catch basins. They also ran conduit to the middle of the planters, after asking them (verbally and on the drawing) to come up just inside the form boards. I need plenty of room in the planters for speakers and...umm...plants, not conduit! They also came up with conduit risers in the middle of the equipment pad with 3 of them, when 5 were already positioned against the wall (where they should be). Not sure how that makes sense, but needs to be fixed.

Conduit in planters

Conduit over basins :scratch:

Conduit in pad

5. Not sure if I mentioned this before, but they ran the 2-1/2" pipe for the waterfall suction (per my request and drawings) from the pool all the way to the pad. But on the elbow just before rising up trough the pad, they used a 2-1/2" x 2" reducing bushing, then a 2" pipe on the riser. Why run all that 2-1/2" pipe just to reduce down to 2" on the last few feet going into the pump? None of use could figure this out, but it had to be fixed. So, I came home early yesterday and helped one of the guys (he did most of the work for sure) cut back the pipe (after digging down in the mud), and add a 2-1/2" coupling, pipe, elbow and new 2-1/2" riser. It took about 2 hours, but we got it done.

2-1/2" riser

6. This morning before we got 2" of rain (see #1 above), I was able to get the form board of the outdoor shower moved over 3" where it should be. They had put one board 17" from the drain center (correct) and the other 14" from the drain center. I was also able to move the form board by the catch basin at the shop over so that there is a good 4" between the edge of the basin and the form. I think they had it further in expecting that basin to be removed, so I can understand that one.

Shower form

Form by catch basin

We have rain in the forecast through Tuesday, then fairly dry after that (for now anyway). With everything left to do, including re-grading everything, I'm hopeful we'll have decking before next Sunday, but only if these crews kick it in gear next week. I really need to make sure my builder stays on them.

Lots of work done BUT man the work that needs to be redone.........DUH think before you do much on the electric?? Did they REALLY think that could be left like that??

The stone fixes needed......."maybe he will not notice it" NOPE!

LOL on the mud and you helping fix the pipe.....again what were they thinking??

Kim:cat:

Rain again today, so no real progress. I have a slight drainage/grading dilemma though that maybe someone out there can help with. The main question is what elevation to set the catch basin at. Please bare with me...here goes:

Reference the drawing below. I took these elevations this evening. They are pretty accurate and match up pretty darn close with what my builder shot with his laser. Point B on the coping is the high point, which is pretty consistent around the coping. Points F and G are the lowest existing points at about 2-3/4" below coping. The basin at point E is currently 6-7/8" below coping at point D. The way I see it, I have a few options, but the blue drainage arrows I believe would be the same regardless:

Option 1 (Purple): Set the basin at 1" below coping at point B (or 1.125" below coping at point D). This would give me about 3/16" per foot fall from coping to basin, which is ideal. It would also give me 1/8" per foot fall from basin to patio, which is also not bad. Right now this is my preferred option. My only hang up with it is how much water is that basin really going to be collecting other than the gutter (which could be tied into the main line) if most of the deck water is falling back to the existing patio? My other concern is will those 3 drains (hidden drains) along the existing patio be enough to drain all that surface area? They might be, but I just have no feel for that sort of thing. And if the basin isn't catching that much water, it gets back to my original question of why do I really need it there? Whatever little bit it didn't catch (from not being there), would just fall back to the existing patio eventually anyway, right? I do plan to add a very small bathroom eventually right in the corner between the residence and the shop (where the red outline is), but even when that's there, I don't see that basin doing much (assuming the gutter is tied in) if the deck is sloped back towards the existing patio.

Option 2 (Green): Set the basin at 4.375" below coping at point B (or 4.25" below coping at point D). This would give me about 0.65" per foot fall from coping to basin, which is very steep (I think). It would give me about 1/8" per foot rise from basin to patio, which is ideal. It would also alleviate any concerns about those 3 hidden drains not being able to handle everything. It also keeps all the water moving away from the house (for whatever that's worth). This was my original plan for how water would flow...I just didn't realize there would be such a large difference in elevation from the basin to the nearest coping edge. Believe me, I really like this option, but I also don't want to feel like I'm walking down Daytona 500! However, notice that between point A and B I'll have an even steeper slope at about 0.78" per foot...nothing I can really do about that one though. Maybe Option 2 isn't so bad, but it IS a larger area and probably more noticeable since we'll be walking "sideways" across that slope.

Any thoughts on these two options would be appreciated. Also, if I go with Option 1, I would feel inclined to add another hidden drain against the house halfway between points E and F just to help alleviate some of the brunt that point F will be seeing.

Good weather = updates!

1. After a LOT of research and going back and forth, I decided to go with Option 1 above for the drainage issue, but I also had them add one more hidden drain between the basin and the drain in the corner. My dad and I raised the catch basin on the corner by the shop because it was about an inch too low. We also lowered the new hidden drain that was installed yesterday because it was too high. We also set the drain for the shower.

2. Electricians came back and fixed most of the issues yesterday. They pulled back the risers closer to the form boards and moved the ones in the middle of the pad to up against the wall. Still a few more things to fix, but they can wait until after pouring the deck.

3. We dug down for a 12" thick concrete base with rebar on 18" centers for the waterfall/slide foundation today.

4. Regrading and wire mesh happened today. Decking will be poured tomorrow morning! :party:

5. We set umbrella sleeves and the basketball goal sleeve.

6. About 6 of us moved the slide into the rough location just to make sure the form for the foundation was correct...it was (we think).

7. Brett squeezed through a few tight spots again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Low and behold we actually got the decking poured on Saturday. We had a slight delay waiting on the stone guys to come by Saturday morning at 7:00 to fix those 3 or 4 edges where grout had fallen out. Just a minor setback though. We started pumping right at 8:30 and finishing was done just after noon. The most challenging part by far was getting all the umbrella sleeves set to the right height and leveled. Here are some photos of the day.

And here are some photos of the hidden drains and skimmer covers. It took a few hours to get them all cleaned up and to get all the little bits of blue tape out of the edges, but I think they’ll be worth the extra effort. Once everything’s spray-decked, they should blend nicely.

I thought you were telling this dude off and he was trying to say "Calm Down"...lol. Then I realized you seem to be throwing him something.

Hahaha! Yeah, it was a finishing tool I was throwing him. The more I look at it like you did at first though, the more I laugh!

They wrecked the forms yesterday. Nothing today. The plan is to set the slide in place tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

Today we set the slide in place. It took about 3 hours and about 7 people to get it set, but we finally called it "good enough" just after 6:00. The tricky part was getting the exit point at the right elevation, left/right and getting the outer rail 5" to 6" higher than the inside rail, as recommended to ensure all the water drains from the slide. Next step is to build up cinder blocks around edges tomorrow and begin cinder blocking the steps up to the slide. Pics of the day:

3 hours AND 7 people?? I bet there were some adult words said as well LOL That IS a pretty slide but it better be a FAST, FUN slide for all of that work! LOL

I do worry about the wood under the one place. Wood by pool could equal rot over time. I am sure you have plans but would like everyone to be able to learn for when they read this thread in the future.

Kim:cat:

I'm concerned about that too. I'm thinking of asking them to either paint it or replace it with a piece of treated wood, unless anyone has any other ideas. They're cinder blocking this morning so I need to decide quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.