New IG Pool Build - Buckeye (Phoenix) AZ - Excited and Impatient!

They are making a profit on you going with them instead of the other guys always remember that! They should be happy to hear from you no matter the question. now is the time to make changes and get the pool you want. Once its done its done! Making changes after the fact is very costly!

Ask please! I want you to get pebble sheen! Pretty please!!! LOL

Take some homemade brownies with EXTRA chocolate chips in them when you ask!

Kim

I'm afraid the cookies would not make it there....lol....I would devour them on the way! I did call and the "free" pebble sheen for their 20th anniversary special is only for a certain special and that is not the special I got in on, yada, yada, yada, lol, and to add it on will be an extra $2500!!!!! I would rather drown in a river of armpit sweat than to pay $2500 extra for some crushed up rocks! I will stick with the Ultra Poz. :)

They are making a profit on you going with them instead of the other guys always remember that! They should be happy to hear from you no matter the question. now is the time to make changes and get the pool you want. Once its done its done! Making changes after the fact is very costly!

Yes, you are correct. I am going to change one thing though.......we are adding on heat because I need to be able to use the pool every day, for at least 10 months a year because this is for medical therapy and having it only 4-5 months a year is just pointless. We found a place that will do the solar heating for $3,000 and there is a $750 tax rebate (25%) so that brings the price down to about $2250. That is pretty good and even less than adding the pebble sheen. We will get way more use out of solar heat than pebble sheen, too. They company uses 100% solar coverage and it raises the temp to about that of the current outdoor temp or within 3-5 degrees and that is without a cover. With a cover, it is about 10 degrees warmer than without a cover. The company had been in business since 1979, so they are stable and comes with a 10 year warranty.

Alright, let me try this again....these are before and after photos of the pregrade of our back yard so they can do the layout on Monday and excavate on Tuesday. http://www.unitedwebsource.com/03262016-1.jpg http://www.unitedwebsource.com/03262016-2.jpg http://www.unitedwebsource.com/03262016-3.jpg http://www.unitedwebsource.com/03262016-4.jpg http://www.unitedwebsource.com/03262016-5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Is it possible for me to post the photos into the thread using hosted photos, without just using the links....where the actual photos show up instead of links to the photos?

when you post, click the picture icon (looks like a tree in a square frame.
choose the From URL option
paste your .jpg address in there
uncheck the retrieve/reference option

03262016-1.jpg

HeLLOO Buckeye.
I always feel obligated to let people know that a sheer waterfall is a lot louder than you think. Ours is 4 feet wide, yours is less than that, I think, but it's not a peaceful stream sound like the bubbler.

That is actually good news to me, I love the sound of water coming from fountains and streams of water. It is relaxing to me and I was hoping it would make some noise. :)

Do you have an outdoor potty? Ha ha, with all that running water sound!

HeLLOO Buckeye.
I always feel obligated to let people know that a sheer waterfall is a lot louder than you think. Ours is 4 feet wide, yours is less than that, I think, but it's not a peaceful stream sound like the bubbler.

I just realized you are in Buckeye as well. Howdy, neighbor! :) Do you have any photos of your pool you can share? Sounds like it is about the same size as mine. I would love to see it. You show me yours and I'll show you mine...........when it's completed! HAHA

I have some questions about solar heating and would love some opinions/advice from any of you......

As most of you have read, this pool is mainly being used for medical therapy and I need to be in it every day, as many days a year as possible, so I am thinking of using solar heat to extend the swimming season to 9-10 months. I can't afford the bill increase for using traditional heating for the pool so I am serious contemplating the solar route because once it is installed, it is free energy from the sun. :)

I called several places and the quotes were right around $4.5 to $5k to provide 80% solar panel coverage and the whole system, including installation, however, I did find a company that has locations in Vegas and San Diego but just opened their first Phoenix location about a month ago and they are offering to do the whole thing for $3200, which is a substantial savings and something we would possibly scrape up to afford. I spoke with the owner and he explained that they were offering to do the systems at close to their cost, with a little profit, so they can establish their name here in AZ and after a year of garnering reviews and building their reputation, they would then be going up on their prices to be competitive with others. I understand this concept because I owned a website design firm for almost 15 years and we did the same thing in our infancy to help establish our name and reputation. Their system comes with a 10-year warranty and is backed by Solar Industries, Inc., which is the largest manufacturer of solar panels for pool heating in the U.S. I checked this company's other 2 locations out and they are well-rated and have good reviews but this particular location in AZ is new. I asked how things would be handled if something went wrong and we needed service under the 10-year warranty but they ended up going out of business and the guy said that Solar Industries backs their product up with the warranty for 10 years, whether they stayed in business or not. I do feel pretty comfortable with this new company as the owner is also the owner of another local business that has been around for almost 40 years and they are a well respected company with great service and integrity. Since that same man owns this company, I feel better about it.

So, these are some of my questions and I am sure I will come up with more as the discussion progresses:

1. Is anyone familiar with solar heat, how it works, and how effective it is?

2. Would a heat pump be a better option? If so, what type of costs are there upfront and monthly to run one?

3. I am originally from Ohio, and although my blood has thinned out some since I have been here for 12 years, I still prefer my pool water to be tepid, as opposed to warm. I hate being hot and with my MS, I have a lower tolerance to heat, so I would be comfortable swimming in 72 degree or higher water. It is said that the solar panels will heat the water to about 3-5 degrees less than the current temp, which means I could use the pool all year, except Dec, Jan, and Feb. Does this seem feasible?

4. I found a complete solar system and the accompanying install kit on Amazon for about $1200, all I would need to do is find someone to install it and I could potentially save a lot of money, BUT, if something goes wrong, I am on my own without a warranty. Does anyone know of someone or a company that would install the system if I bought the parts/supplies? Or, would it make more sense to go with a company that will give a 10 year warranty on it and make sure it is properly installed in the first place?

This is scary for me because I am on a limited budget, on disability and need this pool desperately so I can have a chance to walk again so I have to make sure every penny is well spent. I appreciate any help and insight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The excavation started yesterday and after 10 hours, it looks like it is about halfway finished. The guy said it would be completed today. As you can see from the photo, the deep end is dug but the end with the Baja shelf and entrance stairs is still fully intact. I will say that it is much larger looking now that the dig started. I think I am good with the size.

Anyone have any more info on the solar heating?
dig5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

If 75 degrees is okay with you than a big solar system might just do the trick. Here is the best data that I found when I was doing all my research.
Solar Pool heating in Phoenix, Arizona

Thanks. I have already read this particular webpage. I am really hoping to hear some personal experiences. I need to make a decision soon and I am really in the dark right now. I have read a ton but I am not really able to find anyone who actually has solar heat in Arizona and how it works for them, price, etc.

I guess I took the photos too quickly. Here are 3 more and you can see the bench and where the water feature will be. I cannot get to the back side of the pool to take photos because I am in a wheelchair and there is no way I am going to try to navigate through all that dirt! LOL. The entrance steps and Baja shelf are situated where I would have to go to the back side of the pool to get them in the photo. I sure hope they don't leave my ground all tore up like that! They have to put decking all around the pool, so hopefully they will make it more presentable.

I do have to say that I was amazed that all of this work was completed by a single person. The same guy that did the pregrade, is the same guy who did the excavation. It took him about 12 hours to pregrade the yard and about 20 hours to do the excavation. That is a lot of work for one guy and he did a fantastic job! I could start right now, and I would not have 10% of this work done by the year 3000! LOL

finaldig2.jpg

finaldig3.jpg

finaldig4.jpg

I have a question.......The pb has acrylic lace coating for the 320 sq. ft. of decking in the pricing of our pool at $5 per sq. ft. I want to have my existing 288 sq. ft. patio covered with the same product so it all matches and I found a local company that will do an acrylic lace topping on concrete for $2.50 per sq. ft., so this is half the price the pb is charging.

Here is my question.......We are going to ask the pb to deduct the charge for the acrylic lace topping @ $5.00 sq. ft. X 320 sq. ft. ($1600) and just provide us with the bare concrete decking so we can have this other company come out and apply the acrylic lace topping to the decking and our patio. Do you think this is something they will agree to? Since we are the customer, we should be able to pay who we want to do the topping on the concrete, correct?

With the 320 sf. of decking and the 288 sf. of existing concrete patio, it will cost us $1520 @ $2.50 sf. to do everything and we won't have to pay anything extra to do our patio.

I sent an email to our salesperson and I am hoping they won't give us an issue with it. I will be pretty upset if I know I can save this type of money and they won't allow us to do it this way.

Thanks for any replies.

P.S. We have decided to definitely do the solar heating since we spoke with a neighbor that has had solar heating on their pool for 3 years now and they said the water temp is in the 80's all year, except Dec. and Jan. so we want to do it for sure now. They said it was the best investment they ever made.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.