Another new pump thread..

krator

May 25, 2012
Kitchener Ontario
Hi Everyone, can someone please help me spec out a new pump?

I also reluctantly add another "new pump" thread here but I guess every situation is unique.

My pool is about 10yr old 27,000 gal (100k liter) hump back kidney style with 3 returns (1.5") plus 2 additional in the stairs. Skimmer and floor drain is 2". Its has a SWG, a Sta-Rite system 3 S8M500 cartridge filter with a flo rate rating of 130 gpm and a Jandy NG heater.

I currently have a Sta-Rite max-e-pro 1.5hp which still works fine except it develops an intermittent and very loud screeching sound from the motor. I'm thinking that the bearings are shot. As the pump is at least 10yr old, I'm half expecting to have to replace the entire unit. I will be disassembling it before the pool opens just to see if its repairable but....

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Patrick.

For your pool I would buy this pump,
Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001 I am a big fan of variable speed pumps and being able to dial in the right amount of water flow for things like heaters, solar panels, SWGs, waterfalls, etc. And then running at a low speed for filtering. I run at 1100 rpm for filtering and it only uses 150 watts.

If you want to save a few bucks you can get a 2 speed pump like this one, Pentair SuperFlo Pump 340043. Pentair 340043. A 2 speed pump on low moves half the water and uses 25% of the electricity as it uses in high.

The pump wet end should last much longer than 10 years so another option would be to just replace the motor with a two speed motor.

But check your local power company rebates. Sometimes they are high enough to make it worth getting a VS.

BTW, having your location (city & state) on the left like we do, would help us determine the best fit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.