Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Heating kit from soup to nuts

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Heating kit from soup to nuts

amjohn posted here an impressive DIY project of a solar heating system with all the necessary controls and other bells and whistles. Does an “everything included” kit exist, which contains all the controls, ground mounting frames etc.?
    My pool’s surface area is about 550 Sq feet. Will two panels of 20x4 each be good enough? This is 29% of pool surface area. (see sig. for more pool details.) The panels will be mounted on ground frames facing South. If the entire kit from soup to nuts is not available, where can I get the other components? Unlike amjohn, I can’t spend too much time on the design and installation. If you installed a similar solar system please post.
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Heating kit from soup to nuts

Hot Sun has extensive site with lots of information. They will work with you to design and price a system based on your requirements. Not sure about ground frames but you could ask.
    17000 gal free form plaster pool with 900 gal spillover spa, shared 2 HP 2 speed pump, cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWG, solar and gas heater, 1 hp pump for water features, 1.5 hp pump for spa. Dolphin Diagnostics robotic cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. Is your system Hot Sun's? Happy with it?
    What % of the pool area is solar panels surface?
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

4. Back To Top    #4

I did not use Hot Sun, did the design and install myself.

Do know two others who did use Hot Sun, they are happy with results.

I have about 60% coverage that works well. Get 10 to 15 degree rise without cover.
    17000 gal free form plaster pool with 900 gal spillover spa, shared 2 HP 2 speed pump, cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWG, solar and gas heater, 1 hp pump for water features, 1.5 hp pump for spa. Dolphin Diagnostics robotic cleaner.