O/B Woodland Hills, CA

Ah, he also has the big square ones. I didn't see the smaller round ones too!

Hey there - How's your project coming along?

Question on your hidden drains. I see that the square ones are listed on their site as shower drains. Were you able to use the 1 1/4" thick paver or did you have to shave them down? If they intend them for shower drains I'm surprised that they'd accept material that thick.

Thanks and let us know how you're doing!

Im still waiting for my 1 1/2 booster pump to install and bond....then I can call for pre plaster inspection...I blew it and forgot it on the order and now it is on backorder....grrr.

Yes they are shower drains. They make round ones specfically for 3 and 4 inch drains...i ordered a dozen and sent them back because it would be a pain to cut round holes in my pavers (the "outdoor" drains only come in round) I was going to splurge for a round diamond bit to burn the holes, but many of them landed on joints and it uickly became a pain, so I sent square because my pool is a rectangle.

You need a Dremel - or better yet a bench grinder to cut/grind the lugs off of the outside diameter of the square to make them smooth. The lugs give proper 1/8" spacing from the tile so you can grout them in place, so you dont need them for pavers. They fit fine under the 1 1/4 pavers. They are about the same thickness as the pavers, so we compacted them with pavers at the same time
The drains have 2" MPT outlets. I does not rain that much in So Calif, so that does not bug me and I put 12 of them in so I think I have plenty of drainage.
My drain lines are 3" so I ended up buying 12each 2x2.5" (or maybe it was 2x3"?) bushing x spigot fittings from flexpvc.com and they fit in the 3" pipes pretty well. The centers of the drains pop out if you ever need to snake out the lines. The guy at hidden drain warns that the shower drains are not really UV rated and might have problems later (he really does not know for sure) being outside. They are really close to standard 4x4 3 inch surface drains, so if they end up having problems in 5 or 10 years, I could swap them out.

Full credit to Apapaz2. These were his idea. He bought all the beige ones, so I used white.

I bought two lids from Stetson and only used one on the skimmer. I ended up cutting a piece of travertine for the auto fill cover instead. Once you get the pour a lid with a piece of 1 1/4" travertine in it - it is pretty heavy. I dont think my wife will be able to pick it up if she needs to check the skimmer if Im traveling. If I had to do it again, I'd pass on the pour a lid and just cut the travertine.

Hope that helps.

drain_zpsbz3am1eo-1.jpg

Here is the only pic I took of the drain during install. Obviously, we cut the vertical drain pipe down so the surface drain ended up flush with the travertine. You can see the lugs on the side of the drain that I cut off (used my bench grinder).

In this pic, the stone has not been cut to fill in the center. The stone insert is only about 3/8" thick with thinset.

IMG_drain_zpsuybudk92-1.jpg

I've been talking to the guy at Hiddendrains and he said they are no longer producing the square shower drain. He said they're made by Stetson, of Pouradrain fame. He's out of white and has a few beige. Nice enough guy but the site isn't a priority for him. Sounds like a business opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Titan,
thanks for being the only guy on here that is taking longer than me!�� I Just checked out yours and the new deck looks super nice. Great choice!

I have the stacked stone going on the raised spa this week, next week is supposed to be tile...then pre plaster inspection. I remember thinking I was soooo smart getting started before the PB "busy season" back in February. Now all the good subs are swamped and I'm thinking "how did this happen"? Oh yeah....I'm the GC...so it's all my fault!

Progress!
Got the stacked stone installed on the spa and they got started with some of the tile.Im going to do the matching stone on the BBQ and columns after final inspection.

I used AIM 1x2 tiles at the waterline (11" in the pool, 8" in the spa) and up and over the spillway with matching 1x1 tiles on the spa seat and the edges of the steps and mini-benches - and the AIM trim tiles on the outside corners.

IMG_5157_zpsubbtbk0c-1.jpg

IMG_5159_zpsxvobd75r-1.jpg

IMG_5168_zps6bwu2ywv-1.jpg

That is a huge amount of work done! Getting close!

Do you have your test kit yet? If not now would be a good time to order it so it will be there when you are ready to add water. Look in my siggy for the one I think is the best bang for the buck and you can use your discount from being a supporter to get it.

:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.