Pool place gave up?>?????

Kim,

I can't run pump 24/7 the DE filter goes up in pressure within 10-15 minutes.(30 - 32 psi) Backwashing/rinsing drops it back down for the same amount of time. I assume this is normal? I have almost gone through a 20lb bag of DE in 4 hours. Something doesn't seem right.?

This isn't un-normal, as long as the algae bloom continues. Once you begin to get the upper hand on the algae, the time between filter cleanings should increase drastically. It may get worse, before it gets better....

Trust us, there is light at the end of the tunnel.... and it is NOT another train......

This isn't un-normal, as long as the algae bloom continues. Once you begin to get the upper hand on the algae, the time between filter cleanings should increase drastically. It may get worse, before it gets better....

Trust us, there is light at the end of the tunnel.... and it is NOT another train......

I sure hope so. I received tracking number for my testing kit. It doesn't show ETA on when it will arrive. Can't come quick enough.

I just went and brushed the pool. I am seeing clouds of white/green coming from bottom. Is this considered an algae bloom? Will dead algae be able to be filtered through DE or do you have to vacuum it out first? Is living algae the only problem the DE filter will encounter?

Thanks for your replies.

I just went and brushed the pool. I am seeing clouds of white/green coming from bottom. Is this considered an algae bloom?

Yes, the green is the living algae, the white is (most probably) dead algae.

Will dead algae be able to be filtered through DE or do you have to vacuum it out first? Is living algae the only problem the DE filter will encounter?

Algae, living or dead, makes for a lot of particulate matter to be removed and is a challenge for any filter. Whatever you can vacuum out to waste, won't go through the filter...

I just want to assure you that you've come to the right place - very knowledgable people on here with a great passion for simple maintenance of your soon-to-be oasis pool. Trouble Free Pool, right? :D

It can be easy to become frustrated and want to do SOMETHING, but it's better to ask questions are you are doing. Don't presume and act. Document everything in a tablet or notebook. This will be a big help as your measurements of through a bit of flux in the next two weeks.

You'll be swimming in no time!!

First off welcome, the vast majority of us have been where you are now, and we can help, second off don't panic, if we are starting to overwhelm you with all these replies, just say so and we will try to slow down the pace.

Having said that let me try to address some of your concerns about your DE filter, One of the great things about DE filters is that they do such a great job of filtering, this is also a down side in your current situation as it means they get filled up much quicker. Of course the other end of the spectrum is a sand filter where we hear people in your type of situation commenting that it takes many days to clear the water after the algae is all dead. Of course in your case this situation is even worse since your DE filter is undersized for your pool, so you will end up having to clean it even more often than the typical DE filter owner would in your situation.

One other thing I want to say is to be prepared to change out a large percentage of your water if your CYA does end up being sky high, high CYA is caused by excessive use of "stabilized" chlorine products over time, (Dichlor and Trichlor) as the chlorine gets used up and the CYA stabilizer just builds up in the pool. Unfortunately the only practical way to lower CYA is through water replacement as it is VERY slow to break down on its own (think several years under normal pool conditions).

Ike

Welcome aboard! You're in good hands now, and once you get used to the TFP pool maintenance routine you'll be ecstatic that the pool $tore "gave up" on you!

I got "pool stored" last spring, and that led me here. My pool was green when the pool store opened it for me, and they told me there wasn't anything to do about it except wait for the rain to go away (10 days later...) and buy more of their products. That wasn't acceptable to me. I'm a TFP convert and I've been happier than ever with my pool. I'm especially happy that I know exactly what's going into the water and exactly why it needs to be there. Not to mention the fact that I was spending up to $100 per week just to keep my pool water safe (well, not quite...), and now I spend about $4.00 per day to keep my water perfect.

Post up your results as soon as you get your TF-100. While you're waiting, check the links everyone has posted (they're also in my signature for your convenience) so you're ready to tackle your first SLAM. Once you get your TF-100, check the TFTestKits website for video instructions for each test.

Last but not least, the easiest way to post pics directly into your replies is to copy and paste the code from your pics. Then your pics will show up like this:
[IMG]http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac306/blenheimfire/20160215_092823_resized.jpg

I have two questions/thoughts -

1. What shock product did they sell you and how much did you add? Please post that info and we'll try to figure out how much they screwed up your water.

2. Your DE filter, are you adding the full 2.4lbs of DE everytime you back wash it :shock: :shock: :shock: ??

If you do, STOP doing that immediately!! When you backwash a DE filter you only need to add, AT MOST, 50% of the manufacturer recommended amount of DE as backwashing does not remove 100% of the DE (in fact, it leaves most of it behind). I would agree with others that your DE filter is under-sized both relative to your pool volume and your pump size. When a high pressure pump (1.5 HP with a 1.1 SF) is coupled to a small filter, the results are really high filter pressures. If you've oversaturated your filter grids with DE, as I suspect you have, then you might as well go ahead a disassemble the filter, tear it down and completely clean it out. Don't worry about that little screen on top getting crushed. As long as it is there and there are no tears in it, you are ok (it's for air bleed purposes).

If skimmer socks are used, wouldnt that help the filter from clogging up so soon? I remember someone saying he bought paint skimmers (?) from Home Depot and used them.

I was coming here to say the same thing! When you are there to babysit it add hair nets or skimmer socks to the basket that is in the skimmer (skimmer is the place where the water goes out of the pool to the filter).

Anything water can go through that will fit around the basket withOUT going into the pump basket will work.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was coming here to say the same thing! When you are there to babysit it add hair nets or skimmer socks to the basket that is in the skimmer (skimmer is the place where the water goes out of the pool to the filter).

Anything water can go through that will fit around the basket withOUT going into the pump basket will work.

Kim

That will still need to be watched.

Casey for sure! I did forget to add-----------if you are going to be away from the pool take the sock OUT! Put something on the door you go out of to remind you to take it out if you need to. (I have to use a time right beside me if I am draining water as I lose track of time)

Kim

Shock was re-fresh brand granules. They also Sold me sink and sweep floc.

Ok. So 25lbs of Re-Fresh shock (calcium hypochlorite granules, 65% available chlorine) in your pool of 12,000 gallons would raise the free chlorine (FC) level to 161ppm and add to the calcium hardness (CH) of your pool water by increasing the CH by 114ppm. It will also raise your pH due to the fact that cal-hypo often has a significant amount of calcium carbonate and calcium hydroxide in it from the manufacturing process. However, it is not so easy to determine the pH rise. That said, your pH is also probably going to be very high as well.

Is this a vinyl pool?

What that pool store told you to do was both dangerous and ill-advised. Water with that much FC in it (and likely very high pH) is extremely irritating to eyes, skin, etc and can bleach clothes and hair. Swimming in water like that (not that you would) can easily make you very sick from the formation of combined chloramines and chloroform when high FC reacts with organics chemical compounds in your skin. It can also be corrosive metal pool equipment. FC that high can easily fade vinyl liners. The good news is, with algae in the water and sunlight, the FC probably did not last very long because it likely got burned off by the sun fairly quickly. Unfortunately, they also raised your CH by quite a lot which could easily cause cloudiness in your pool water form calcium scaling.

SO now you know WHY we distrust pool stores so much on this site - they are often very, very wrong! In this case, dangerously wrong.

How about the DE filter? Did you read my post about adding too much DE? I think you need to take apart your filter and clean it all out again.

Good luck,

Matt

PS - If you do get that pool store manager on the phone, feel free to chew him out for his ignorant employee turning your pool (temporarily) into a toxic chemical spill!! That much calcium hypochlorite is NEVER the right answer under any circumstance unless you're bleaching your whites in the washing machine....

Ok. So 25lbs of Re-Fresh shock (calcium hypochlorite granules, 65% available chlorine) in your pool of 12,000 gallons would raise the free chlorine (FC) level to 161ppm and add to the calcium hardness (CH) of your pool water by increasing the CH by 114ppm. It will also raise your pH due to the fact that cal-hypo often has a significant amount of calcium carbonate and calcium hydroxide in it from the manufacturing process. However, it is not so easy to determine the pH rise. That said, your pH is also probably going to be very high as well.

Is this a vinyl pool?

What that pool store told you to do was both dangerous and ill-advised. Water with that much FC in it (and likely very high pH) is extremely irritating to eyes, skin, etc and can bleach clothes and hair. Swimming in water like that (not that you would) can easily make you very sick from the formation of combined chloramines and chloroform when high FC reacts with organics chemical compounds in your skin. It can also be corrosive metal pool equipment. FC that high can easily fade vinyl liners. The good news is, with algae in the water and sunlight, the FC probably did not last very long because it likely got burned off by the sun fairly quickly. Unfortunately, they also raised your CH by quite a lot which could easily cause cloudiness in your pool water form calcium scaling.

SO now you know WHY we distrust pool stores so much on this site - they are often very, very wrong! In this case, dangerously wrong.

How about the DE filter? Did you read my post about adding too much DE? I think you need to take apart your filter and clean it all out again.

Good luck,

Matt

PS - If you do get that pool store manager on the phone, feel free to chew him out for his ignorant employee turning your pool (temporarily) into a toxic chemical spill!! That much calcium hypochlorite is NEVER the right answer under any circumstance unless you're bleaching your whites in the washing machine....

Matt,

The pool is concrete I guess or whatever hardened material they use. It is not vinyl that much I know. The manager hung up on me because she said I was arrogant and she will not listen to internet BS derived from people who sit in their PJ's pretending to fix pools or know what works and doesn't. Done with them. I was not arrogant I was polite and explained everything I learned here. She did not like someone contradicting her. Can I see some pictures of everyone's PJs? LOL

Moving on -- I will look into filter socks

I did use the floc when I first got it about 12 ounces of it. I can't return the shock it is fully 100% in the pool.

I am currently soaking the filters in degreaser. They have been sitting since last night around 8 PM. I will pull them out and hose off. I then need to know what is the MA mixture needed to clear the grids and how long to soak in MA. 2:1 or 4:1 or 10:1 I have found on this site. Any ideas?

Matt I did read about adding too much D.E. I was adding 2.4 lbs after backwash. I will trim this down to 1 lb after backwash.

Thanks again everyone for replying. Appreciate your time

The manager hung up on me because she said I was arrogant and she will not listen to internet BS derived from people who sit in their PJ's pretending to fix pools or know what works and doesn't.
Wow, I don't think I've ever been on here in my PJ's......

You are getting great advice! As can often happen you are getting suggestions from multiple people. If it starts to get overwhelming just concentrate on one person and it may help clear the clutter that sometimes happens. Just understand that all of the volunteers here are looking to help you get your pool back in shape.

Wow, I don't think I've ever been on here in my PJ's......

You are getting great advice! As can often happen you are getting suggestions from multiple people. If it starts to get overwhelming just concentrate on one person and it may help clear the clutter that sometimes happens. Just understand that all of the volunteers here are looking to help you get your pool back in shape.

Tim,

I appreciate all of the responses. They are a little overwhelming and cool all at the same time. First time I have ever posted on internet and it was overall a good experience. I never expected sooo many responses from knowledgeable PJ wearing professionals :)

Any idea about MA mixture for cleaning grids? What ratio of water to MA?

Thanks again :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.