Still Learning TFP and could use some help

Apr 16, 2015
Rosenberg/TX
Starting the season (as is I'm sure everyone else in the southwest).

Already done the usual, i.e., brush, vacuum, wash-out filters, etc. Currently building CYA up as it is currently 40. Tested PH which is a nice bright red so I know it is 8 or higher. TA is 190. I've added the amount of acid that Poolcalculator says to bring me down to 7.2. I have a waterfall and that is where my question comes in.

Should I run the waterfall WHILE I'm trying to bring PH down to 7.2? Or wait until I have 7-7.2 and then run waterfall to bring TA down?

Ulimately, I need to get PH/TA in line so I can start the spring SLAM.

Thanks in advance.

Bill W.

Really won't matter running the waterfall while adding MA to lower PH. That's gonna happen pretty dang quick. Using an aerator will help raise that PH back up more quickly so you can lower that TA more quickly in turn.

When attempting to lower PH that much, 8+ to 7.2, do it in two or three doses. The farther out you get from 7.5 the larger the margin of error in the variables and the calculations. Add the acid with the pump running and test again in 10 or 15 minutes. Definitely get that TA down below 100.

Here is the article from Pool School on lowering TA just in case, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

I'll chime-in as well just because I'm reading a couple items differently that caught my eye from the original poster Bill W.:
- Woody & PoolDV have already provided guidance on lowering the pH. But Bill mentioned,
and then run waterfall to bring TA down
. Just to be clear, the acid will lower TA. The waterfall will not lower your TA.
- If your water is green or you suspect you have algae, certainly a SLAM is in order. But springtime in itself doesn't automatically equate to performing a SLAM. Unless you are sure you have algae (visibly), perhaps consider doing an Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to check chlorine demand. And remember, if you do have to SLAM, a lower CYA will allow you to maintain a lower FC shock level. After the SLAM, then you can raise the CYA as needed.

Just my thoughts. :)

ACK! I meant lower PH from aeration not TA. Must have been stunned by acid fumes while typing that. I'm trying to follow the Pool School article.

As for the SLAM, yes, we do have some algae along one wall of the pool. Not bad really when you consider I have pretty much ignored the pool since November.

OH, and I know about the CYA/chlorine relationship. I should have said I want to raise CYA AFTER the SLAM.

But thanks everyone for keeping me honest. :cool:

+1 on the clarification...aeration is only useful when you're attempting to mechanically raise "in range" ph so than you can then lower TA with acid without causing the ph to plummet to less-than-ideal levels. So keep the waterfall off unless/until your ph is too low to add acid. Bringing down TA is kinda a long-haul program ;) While I've done this using a fountain, I wouldn't mess with TA at all until after your slam. But be sure to get your ph into range, a little on the low side at 8.2, before you slam.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bill,

I'm curious, why did you "pretty much ignore the pool since November"? Do you close the pool?

You live in Rosenberg TX which, from Google Maps, tells me that you're a suburb of Houston. You are a few degrees latitude lower than me (Tucson AZ) which means your climate is warmer and more tropical than mine. While I don't have to do much work on my pool during the cold season (late Nov to Feb), I still keep my pool minimally running and maintain my FC. That pretty much ensures that my pool never sees any algae.

Just curious because if you do choose to keep your pool up and running during the colder weather, then you can avoid ever having to do a SLAM again. I just want to make sure that point is at least clear because, even though TFP teaches a great technique for keeping a pool clean and clear, regular SLAM'ing of a pool (even if it's just once per year) is not something we like to see our members do. It's also cheaper to you to not have to SLAM as the bleach required over the cold months to keep your FC up is minimal.

Just my thoughts/opinion.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.