New swamp (hopefully pool again) owner

Yup plaster. Sorry for the confusion. How deep is the pool?

For now, add 2.5# of the DiChlor. Mix it in a bucket first (stir a lot) so it dissolves. We don't want it getting trapped in your filter where it will get back-washed out. I am basing this on a shallow pool which is conservative.

Not sure how deep it is at the main drain, about 1 foot off the edge it is 3.5 feet by the steps and far end and 4.5 feet in between

OK used one of my polls as a measuring stick and came up with a rough estimate of 6'3" at the main drain
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
eb0c97a8156569ab1caba80b61fc9218.jpg

8b9b00a2e113aeac2e32eca588230b52.jpg

Just wanted to give a comparison, the first is what it was looking like just 7 days ago, the second is today.

Fc is 18 and cc is 1. Does look like I have cya in the mix now. If I did the test right it looked like it was 38, but I had to do the test in a not well lit bathroom so it might have fudged the test a bit.

Not sure if it is a Florida thing, I was in Omaha a week and a half ago. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I was figuring on all bleach for awhile. First test was a few hours after I got it in. Didn't make any adjustments at that point just wanting to see how it looked today. I know it seems like even using a small depth getting 11000 gallons in the pool math seems to move me twice as much as it was supposed to. Lucky for me I was shooting for only half my eventual target.

Factor your CYA as 50 when using Pool Math and adding FC.

You are really getting the hang of this is seems! Nice job!

Don't bother testing anything other than FC for now. With FC over 10 it messes with the other tests.

Kim

I am going to suggest you add a little borax to your pool.

The reason is because your pH is pretty darn low. Normally it is recommended at TFP to NOT test pH during a slam because the readings aren't reliable. However, high FC skews pH high, not low.

You can choose to do nothing to the pH, but if you do, mix the borax in a bucket and slowly add it to the skimmer.

I keep thinking about your pool...

You trusted me on using the DiChlor which most TFPer's would tell you to avoid. Please consider adding the borax (20 Mule Team brand in the laundry aisle). I am concerned that your pH may be significantly lower than 6.8.

You could also use some distilled (and only distilled) water (recipe: 1 part distilled to 1 part pool water. Do not multiply your result) and do a pH test with that and see where you are.

This morning was at FC 17 and CC .5 (started my heavy brushing with the bigger brush last night, guessing that was a big part of the bump). Added 52 oz of 8.3% (Costco Clorox). Will see where it is this afternoon.

I keep thinking about your pool...

You trusted me on using the DiChlor which most TFPer's would tell you to avoid. Please consider adding the borax (20 Mule Team brand in the laundry aisle). I am concerned that your pH may be significantly lower than 6.8.

You could also use some distilled (and only distilled) water (recipe: 1 part distilled to 1 part pool water. Do not multiply your result) and do a pH test with that and see where you are.

A diluted/split sample pH test is invalid. I'm joining this late, so can someone please tell me what got the pH here, and where was it prior to all this? Was it the Dichlor that lowered it? As for most on TFP not suggesting Dichlor, we usually wouldn't only because what we mostly see are pools already high in stabilizer (Cya). There are times when it is just fine to use certain products, but the key is adding what you know the pool needs and can benefit from. You know this through proper testing and basic knowledge to make the right decision.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.