Cost of various plaster finishes

Thanks for posting those costs -- definitely gold!! +1 on spool-pool-love

I'm patiently waiting to hear back from my PB. Got a few inches of snow followed by ice yesterday, so nobody's rushing around with builds here!

Got my quote today to upgrade, PebbleTec in Maryland is +$8,500 over Diamondbrite. +$11,500 over base plaster. One authorized dealer in tri-state area. I can't rationalize that kind of price, nope, nope, nope. Nope. So I have to chose between French Gray and Super Blue. What do you think, oh wise ones?

I know we wouldn't be able to justify that kind of upgrade cost either. Both choices blend well with your tile, so I'd go with the one that makes the water closer to the color you want. The super blue is more interesting by itself, but I do like the color that grey plaster gives to a pool. Have you been able to see photos of pools with these, or perhaps pools in person?

What tile is this you are using ?

I assume you mean the glass tile? Its NPT Jules Rustic Blue, I believe. Its in several pools under construction now. :)

So I didn't get the samples wet when I posted them, which made a BIG difference. I'm conflicted, but Greg is 100% Super Blue, so I think we'll go with that. And I'll go buy two teak sling chaises, LOL. Still ahead $7K.

Ugh, everybody at my office likes gray.

Either will be very very nice. I don't know if it's a real consideration, but in my mind I've always leaned towards having a darker plaster surrounding the aggregate to help hide organic stains if a leaf sits on the floor of the pool for too long, for instance. But maybe that's not really a concern.

Honestly if it was me and I lived in a colder climate I would probably go with a darker finish. I really like the look but just couldn't imagine how hot my pool water would be in the summer in Texas. You might actually benefit with a slightly longer swim season with a darker finish. Just something to think about. I would go with the grey if it was my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I really like the blue, it seems to pop and have more contrast.

They made really good points about the grey though maybe giving you warmer water in your colder climate so that's a pretty strong point in its favor. Blue is just pretty. Lol. Both can create some really nice water color so I don't think you can actually make a wrong choice here. Maybe fill two tubs with water and put the samples in full sun to see if either of you changes which direction you're leaning?

You could always remind him about Happy Life, Happy Wife and go grey. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly if it was me and I lived in a colder climate I would probably go with a darker finish. I really like the look but just couldn't imagine how hot my pool water would be in the summer in Texas. You might actually benefit with a slightly longer swim season with a darker finish. Just something to think about. I would go with the grey if it was my pool.

+1 - you beat me to it, and being from a colder climate, I will take all the heat I can get. But Helen is from Annapolis so she can probably afford to heat her pool all year!! JK!! :D

Another thought is that you will see your water color more than the pool surface color, especially since your pool is not right behind your house. But I'm also biased and have a grey surface. I focused by and large on water color as Jamie mentioned and it wasn't until Kim had pushed bling for the 100th time :razz: that I began to realize that the surface color is pretty important to people too.

My wife and I are getting close to plaster , and we are almost dead set on black onyx . Thought about doing French grey but keep coming back to the darker .
Speaking of the darker colors and heating up really does have me thinking now.
Can this be a legitimate problem?

My wife and I are getting close to plaster , and we are almost dead set on black onyx . Thought about doing French grey but keep coming back to the darker .

It seems very logical and anecdotal evidence seems to support it. How's that for confidence. Try putting two troughs outside, one painted white inside, the other painted dark gray, fill with water, monitor temperatures during a sunny day and report back!

*snicker* what, me, play the wife card??? ;-)

Only when it's beneficial for all concerned... Even if he doesn't know or agree that he's benefitting!

- - - Updated - - -

It seems very logical and anecdotal evidence seems to support it. How's that for confidence. Try putting two troughs outside, one painted white inside, the other painted dark gray, fill with water, monitor temperatures during a sunny day and report back!

Yes! Science experiment time!!

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly Helen, it REALLY will look beautiful either way you go and, once done, you probably won't be pining over the one you didn't select. But, easier said than done (says the girl who is having anxiety with every decision about her pool...).

My sister in San Fran would approve -- she said go darker than french gray. Its not what I personally want, but you are most definitely not alone in your appreciation of dark pool plasters.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly Helen, it REALLY will look beautiful either way you go and, once done, you probably won't be pining over the one you didn't select. But, easier said than done (says the girl who is having anxiety with every decision about her pool...).

Yep, you get me, completely!! I am going to make a decision by Monday. I polled our families for opinions, the results are completely split. So thanks for reminding me that its not like there is one RIGHT decision..."right" is flexible in the real world. The engineer in me wants to solve every problem with one definite, provable solution, and is so sad when that doesn't happen, LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.