Pool Design Help - Treasure Coast, FL

Thanks Kim. I've seen you remind folks plenty of times to measure, measure, measure but of course in the excitement of the day I had forgotten.

Done now and everything looks good. 12-14 inches extra in both length and width for the pool and the spa and sun shelves measure out properly as well. 4" spacers used on the steel they've put on the floor so far.

Steel completed Friday.
Steel and main drain passed county inspection yesterday.
Gunite scheduled for today however we got about 5' of rain overnight and this is the result.

Cave-in_zpsz94jo5rn.jpg

Not too bad considering the amount of rain I suppose. Any voids I assume can be filled with gunite. I just need to make sure besides draining that they dig out the dirt/sand from below the floor rebar to get back to the original clearance for gunite?

I don't see any damage to the shape of the rebar itself.

Just after I posted this PB and they are pumping out the water. They weren't concerned at all and expected worse. One guy said with this much rain usually the sun shelves have disappeared completely. Can't wait to see some gunite!

Indigo - Speaking of rain I saw your latest pics...I imagine a nice cooling mist always present in your beautiful tropical setting. Nice.

If they are pumping out the water this morning does your PB think it will dry enough for gunite tomorrow? Love your tile and coping selections.

Thanks firehunter. Gunite today if heavy rain holds off (40% chance). It's been very dry over the past two months and the soil is sandy so everything drains and drys out quickly. Water is drained, soil being removed and a bit of rebar repair being made now. Fingers crossed on the rain.

Gunite crew was here 1:30 PM to a little after 6PM and interrupted by a drenching rain for 15-20 minutes in the middle of that block. They just waited it out and picked up again when it stopped raining. Here's where they ended the day and will be back tomorrow to finish. I'm a bit underwhelmed.

Also sun shelves should be 12" water depth but currently measure 12" to top of raised bond beam. Am I correct in thinking that should be more like 15" for 12" water depth?

I'm waiting to hear back from the PB on the overall gunite job condition and the sun shelf depth question. Anyone have any reassurances to offer in the meantime (or wow that's messed up comments...hopefully not)?

IMG_20160518_182156843_zpshzwxxcla.jpg

IMG_20160518_182250383_zpswltgfmew.jpg

IMG_20160518_185429846_zpsybnkcl1f.jpg

Where would the middle of the skimmer place the water on your sunshelf? PLUS you have to add some height to it for when they add the plaster.

I will leave it to you to talk to your PB about your concerns. Let us know what he says!

Kim:cat:

Check your skimmer like Kim said. I wouldn't be too happy about how it looks, so far, but I did a little googling and it seems you can add to already shot gunite especially if it is shotcrete. Definitely ask your PB and express your concerns. The gunite crew did start pretty late in the day. It seems like for most builds gunite starts bright and early for most of the day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Kim, Fire. Reading up on it it seems just because it's not typical (at least for your basic residential pool) to shoot over multiple days doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. A cold joint/bonding issues may not be such a concern with gunite. Too much for me to research to a definitive conclusion though so we'll see what the PB says.

Cold joints usually aren't an issue so long as the crew is adequately prepared for them. It appears you have had a veteran crew at your place. I wouldn't lose too much sleep.

Cheap insurance though, ask that they bump the pressure on the compressor up tomorrow.

Thanks as well BigE.

All worked out well yesterday. It was opposite day (of the day before).
Gunite crew showed up bright and early.
Weather was good with no rain while they worked.
I had time to get out there and talk with crew. They put my mind at ease as well about shooting over multiple days with dry-mix gunite. Crew head has been doing it for 20+ years and I got to hear the story of the 400 yard $2M pool constructed in south Florida earlier this year with multiple gunite crews finishing over 4 days.

After discussing with the PB and also checking against the skimmer it appears the sun shelves will be ~10.5" deep. I can't get too worked up over 1.5" of water.

IMG_20160519_145334796_zpsbsgkt1oh.jpg

IMG_20160519_153829487_zpsinlfo559.jpg

That DOES look nice! Now you get to start bonding with your pool! aka watering it! Try for twice a day. It helps it from drying out too fast and cracking. There might still be some small cracks but the plaster will fill in and cover those.

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.