SE Alabama Build

Is that your water table in the bottom of the pool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

QUESTION!!!!

ok rebar is done and PB says next step is structural inspection. My question is this....The flex pipe looks too wavy. The PB's man in the hole says you can't get it straight, and I get that, but with so many ups and down it seems that the pump would have to work harder to move the water versus it being reasonably straight across. What really brought my attention to it was that when I came home from work, I was looking at the pool and the PB's guy said, I see you looking at the pipes but thats just how they do, I can tighten it up if you want me to. (odd) I wasn't really looking at it and may not have questioned it had he not brought it up. It was after 5 so they left and I started searching builds on TFP. I didn't really see another pool with so much flex in the pipes as mine. Should I make them straighten it out or is this normal and I am just being OCD about it. Your thoughts please....

3B98BB96-716B-4329-862B-7EBC748C1B53.jpg

3B98BB96-716B-4329-862B-7EBC748C1B53.jpg

You said flex PVC. Is that actually corrugated flexible PVC or straight walled sch40 PVC?

If it's flexible PVC I would absolutely not accept it. If it's straight wall PVC, I'd still would not accept it. That looks like a really bad rush job done by a plumber that didn't give a you-know-what.

Others may have a different opinion....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

The shurflex pvc will be in the wall of the pool. I asked about a leak and the PB said it it almost impossible after the concrete goes in but if it did leak.....breaking it up and fixing it.

I have seen a bunch of pools on here being built that appear to be built the same way so I assume it is common in a free form pool.

Matt, it appears to be a product called SHURFLEX, and I think you are right about it being a rush job. They were still here on friday at 5:15pm and we all know how that goes. I really think that this will bug me to no end, knowing that what my pipes look like inside.

79D752C9-82B4-4E37-8D65-AAFFB1AF515F.jpg

I don't know enough about PVC performance and reliability to know if SHURFLEX will last the test of time. I do know that a good plumber uses straight walled sch40 PVC pipe and bends it as needed using a propane heater torch.

I'm like you, OCD. In my personal opinion I think that looks like a terribly unprofessional job and I would not accept it. The flexible PVC might perform just fine, I don't know. But it looks like you-know-what.

Maybe others with more construction experience know better.

Good luck,
Matt

You are correct that the long radius bends will decrease pump efficiency, to what level I can't say.

We have very similar shape pools being built at the same time. My builder used PVC, but ran them in the walls, pretty much same way as yours(just a little straighter). Do you have a second skimmer?

160E8943-A061-4F19-9E55-6C5BBD4482A7_zpsvjnd8iwx.jpg

Thanks Brad. Yours was the picture I saw when it really started bothering me. (I really like your back wall btw)

I have two skimmers and a water feature.

I'm going to make them re-do it. That will bug me for the rest of my life lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Studying the plumbing over coffee I think I see what happened. The man in the hole apparently stepped off how much pvc he needed for a run, went to the truck and cut it. Instead of making a second cut to snug it up and straight, he made the connections and let the pipe bunch up causing the waves.

Nope. Nope. Not gonna work. lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK so they got the field line repaired and re-routed. Finished the dig with no other issues. Dropped in some rock and are busy little beavers. No toilet back-up yet ad all looks well..... Maybe this was the set back on day 1 and everything else is trouble free....right? Right?

Right! :) I'm glad you got the problem resolved relatively quickly and that your plumbing is behaving as you need it to. Septic problems are no fun!

Oops... Just read further... Sorry about your wavy pvc woes. I think you'll be glad to have them redo it. Compared to how they did it on bradj's build, yours just doesn't look right.

Ok so the PB fixed the pipes but stopped short of saying it was sloppy. Did say that's how they do all of them and only had one failure in recent memory. Pipes were put under pressure and left over night for leak test. I liooked at the gauge this morning and it appears good to go. Inspection should be today.

I'm ready for this build to be over. Lol.

I would have had them fix it to. This is your pool and your money. If you do not like what is done or it doesn't look right, you should respectfully speak up.

Your pool shap looks great though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.