How to store Stenner and tank for the winter.

gary300

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 15, 2014
Riverside California
Now that my pool is stable at FC = 7 without running my Stenner at all for about a 2 weeks now because of way less UV and heat, wondering if I should disconnect it and just throw in some bleach when I see the FC level go down. The first thought I have is to get a 1/4" PVC plug, pull the Stenner injector/checkvalve, put in the plug with some teflon tape and just store the Stenner pump and tank somewhere out of the elements. I don' have the room in my garage for this, but could cover it with a nylon cover and bungy cord. The 5 gallons of bleach I still have in the tank probably would go down the drain with a lot of water. I also have 6 gallons of new bleach from Sams Club that I stupidly bought before I realized that winter bleach consumption is super low. Before the TFP method I just filled up my floaters with tabs when they got low.

Sounds like a good idea. My SWG barely ever runs these days so I manually chlorinate which is few and far between. I see no reason to discard all that bleach if you can use it. It may not be full strength but you can still use it to manually chlorinate. If it's a little off your test kit will tell you that. Why throw it down the drain??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I'm in a little different situation as my Stenner & tank are indoors (a really tall "crawl space'), but here is what I do with mine each year. When it is the end of the "bleach season I crank the Stenner up to max (mine is adjustable) and run the tank as low as it will go. I then fill the tank with water and run that through the Stenner as well to clear the bleach from the lines. It has no possibility of freezing where it is so I just let it sit for the winter.

Why flush the bleach down the drain? Use it to bring the pool up to near shock level and hold it there until the chlorine is gone. It won't hurt anything.

I was going to throw the bleach in the tank down the drain, because by the time I would use it again it would probably be degraded by a fair amount. I would rather flush out the tank and rinse it than have old bleach stored in it for a few months. Same goes for the tube in the Stenner and the PVC lines, better flushed and dried for storage. Dried bleach creates salt, which I do not want in my lines or check valve/injector. The 6 gallons of Sams Club bleach can be used for toilets and other nasty things over the winter.

Well, 640oz of 6% bleach in your 38000 gal pool will raise your FC ~8ppm. Why not just dump it in your pool ? Why waste the FC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.