Cleaning SWCG cell

Hi folks,

I'm pretty sure I need to clean the electrodes on my Chlorinator unit - there's a message on the display saying "Check cell"
The manual for my unit (details in sig) says that I need to:
1) Disconnect the leads - done
2) Unscrew the plastic retaining ring - done
3) Remove the electrode/cell and immerse in cleaning solution - not done.

The illustration in the manual seems to suggest that the cell should just lift out once the retaining ring is removed, but I am unable to pull it out.
I've tried gently unscrewing in case it is threaded in, but not being familiar with this I'm not keen to push too hard.

Has anyone got any experience with this Zodiac Tri unit?

Thanks in advance,

Sal

- - - Updated - - -

My plan B might be to remove the whole unit from the inlet and out let pipes intact and simply invert it and pour the cleaning solution into one of the openings - I've seen a couple of youtube videos where they do that.

I am not familiar with the specifics of that cell but you only need to clean it if there is white calcium build up between the plates. If it is clean then don't pour acid through it. Many SWG cells have the check cell light on a timer, it doesn't actually mean there is a problem or a fault. If you maintain your CSI slightly negative using Poolmath it will reduce the likelihood of any calcium build up. I haven't had to clean my cell in 3+ years. M

Thanks for that M.

I do have a white build up visible in the unit - as shown here:

IMG_1978.jpg

I take your point about the message just being a routine thing - it could well be that, but I'm just going through summer start up processes here now (I'm in Australia) and trying to get a nice clear pool for the missus - my life will be much easier if I can pull that off - lol !!!!

There is an O-ring that makes the unit watertight. It makes the part somewhat difficult to pull out. You might have to pry it out or grab the end with big pliers to pull it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.