Solar Cover Thickness, Color

jdubya

Jul 9, 2007
I have to purchase a new solar cover for my 27' above ground round pool this year. The old cover came with the house and pool so I don't know what thickness it was but I could take it off the pool by myself very easily.

When getting a new cover is the standard blue better or worse than clear or no difference?

When getting a new cover is thicker better? How much of a difference in weight is there in going from a 12 mil to 14 mil to 16 mil?

Thanks!

Jim

I used to have a heavy thick "spaceage" cover, silver on the underside, blue on top. Not sure of the mil.... It became too heavy to get off alone.... now I have the cheapy blue 8 mil, and I honestly don't notice a difference temp wise, I think they are equally effective at retaining heat during the night time...the heavy covers stay in place better in windy locations.

From what I have read on here, not much difference in colors. Some theories that the clear allows more sunlight thru for heating during the day, but we're talking a degree or two....but mainly the covers are more effective at retaining any heat gained by keeping them on during the night, like a blanket....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.