Skimmer piping size.

Lazyman

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
NJ
http://www.poolsinc.com/pd_srskim2.html

I have questions about these two things in this link above ^^^... #9 = eyeball, and #5 = hose adapter.

My AG pool skimmer has a 1.5 inch flex hose that I will hard plumb with a 2 inch pvc pipe. The dealer told me it's useless because of these two things above, as well as other locations on the circuit. I'm starting to see his point of view. It's a bit late now because I've purchased everything, but I'd like to hear some opinions on this specific location. The eyeball... I measured it and it is ONE INCH across!!! That's it? The whole 2" piping will end up with a 1" eyeball at the return of the pool?

The other side will be 1.5 inch, but I want to change that out if I can right from the skimmer. The "#5" in the pic above . I want to get a 2" - 1.5" reducer and glue the rest of the 2" pipe from there down to the floor.

Can I replace that 1 inch eyeball? Should I?

I have the same skimmer/return.

I know you can hard plumb the return, no reason to change the size of the eyeball. We bought a threaded fitting for PVC that screws on the outside of the return, remove the hose adapter from the return fitting first. Our threaded fitting is glued to a cap, we use this for winterizing...so I know there is a fitting available. As for the skimmer, that I'm not sure about. We have rubber unions with clamps to connect our pool fittings to the pvc, maybe that's an option instead using the flexible hose. Not perfect but hopefully someone with better suggestions will chime in.

I think I need two of these... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009YJ1QQ/ref ... nkCode=asn But in 1.5 inch threaded, to 2 inch slip. Then I'll just continue with my 2 inch pipning.

Still don't see how a 1 inch eyeball would fare in all of this. I'm guessing that the turbulence is needed all the way at the end there.

I can also look at these..... hmmm... **EDIT** Fixed link** http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?p ... d-Fittings That first pic looks like the one I want.

This is getting way too ridiculous. I just haate to have the "weakest link" somewhere in the line if I can avoid it.

BTW I don't have that exact skimmer. That is the closest I could find to the one I had. It's esseintially the same. Thanks for the reply.

The kids will enjoy the pool...
The kids will enjoy the pool

It's for the kids.... I keep telling myself that. I hope they appreciate all I'm doing!! lol

Ehh, it's a little fun too.

There is no problem using a 1" eyeball with 2" pipe. The 2" pipe reduces the friction and increases the water flow, regardless of the 1" eyeball.

With plumbing, a simple way to think about it is that it is the average diameter that matters, not the smallest diameter. So it you are 2" pipe almost everywhere it will be very nearly as good as if it was 2" everywhere.

I see, Jason. Thanks. That does make sense. i wish I knew that to tell the guy when he ridiculed my efforts. I won't even get into the whole swg system and it's negative effects on the pool...

FPMom, Mine are 3 and 7 years old. they absolutely LOVE the water. For now.... lol I'm not a water person, but I'm going to be forced to go in, to lifeguard duty the two of them. What's a parent to do? ha.

You've mentioned it before, we've got some similar setups on our pools. The cartridge filter and the WW 2 -speed pumps. Looking forward to using the system after all this "homework" I'm doing.

I just finished reading 50 pages of the Pool Pilot control thingy. I'm starting to understand it a bit more.

I swear it said "thingy" somehwere in the directions!

Nah, jk.

Thanks again for the replies.

PS **Edit** Fixed the above link. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.