black fiberglas pool turning white

This Leisure pool started turning white after the first year.Acid will not touch the stain. The pool was winterized last year with the ph at 6 and by Spring - no change. The pool ONLY is affected..none of the fixtures, skimmer, jets and light bezels are affected. My suspicion is faulty gel coat as the staining is very uneven and, in spots, almost in a straight line goes from heavy to light - even above the water line.
Manufacturer, to date, has been no help. Anybody else experiencing this problem??
Jim in Oshawa, Canada

Ph 7.6. Chlorine from a salt unit. Salt less than 3000ppm. TA. 110 PPM
Definitely not calcium....muriatic has no effect..even full strength. If it was calcium ALL parts of pool would be affected including heater core,skimmer.light and return bezels but they are all clear. Mfgr tried to say it was salt but if that was the case ALL fiberglass boats in the ocean would be white within a year! Have heard of other fiberglass pools doing this but short of sanding have not heard of a solution or cause other than faulty gelcoat. Leading edge of swimmers ledge and leading edge of steps are still black...these are areas where gelcoat is thickest because of way gelcoat is sprayed on during manufacturing process.

same here!!! my leisure pool has been building up the same coat you speak of for going on three years now. I've done EVERYTHING -to no avail! - short of a drain and acid wash (Fiberglass we don't dare drain!!!!!) I haven't gone to the manufacturer YET but there seems to be a common issue with Leisure Pools. Very disturbing indeed....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.