cracked union nut on my salt cell connection

lefty51

Platinum Supporter
Well, winterization went well, until I decided to clean the circupool si30 cell.

When I went to reinstall it I cracked the nut on the union to cell connection. Nothing like replumbing :rolleyes:

Trying to find the right union locally is proving to be hard. I can get the new unions through circupool. They are a different breed then standard 2" unions. what I'm trying to figure out, are they a pump or heater type union or are they specific to my cell ?

I'm also wondering if there is a split nut that would work with my cell connection, that would prove to be water tight ? I'm hoping our vast array of experts can save me from myself :confused:

In the meantime, it's Google search. I have all winter to research this and am trying to find the easiest fix. But easiest my not be as good as the "right way" Oh well, any excuse to be on the internet ;)

Been there.
I got a nut from Circupool and I cut through it and forced it over the union stub then put a hose clamp over it. You'll need to file the ends to work on snugness, and you'll need Teflon tape on the cell.

I get a small leak now and then but I can deal with it.

I've seen unions, etc. melted off but I'm not that brave!

Thanks for the info. originally the nuts where very snug on the tail pieces when I first installed them. Should have addressed it then by trimming a little off the inside of the nuts. The tail piece has that shoulder that makes the inside diameter larger than a standard nut. If I can find a split nut, I may see if I can make it work. If not I may try your idea. When you cut through the nut, did it remove enough material to make the circumference smaller or did it still fit properly ? I would replace the old unions with standard 2" unions but the O ring size and placement wouldn't work.

Melting them off does sound like something I could screw up,....but hey, it's only re plumbing the entire setup :oops:

The Circuppool unions are very tough plastic. Mine seem to be a tad loose. It was a struggle to force them over the old union.

I'm not familiar with a "split nut".

In my case I have zero clearance if I make a mistake and ruin the valve with a heat gun.

What I have works OK for me. Let me know how you ultimately fix it.

EDIT: I found split nuts. I looked high and low before with no luck. Thanks for that! How do you get the right thread?

I'm not sure about the threads. Ironically I have a 1 1/2 unions on my aerator setup. one brand I think is Mueller, the other Lasco. The nuts will not interchange with the tail pieces, as they "bind" up about a third of the way on, yet either nut threads on to the salt cell with no problem. :confused:

Maybe one of our plumbing pros can explain the threads, the unions have a "flat thread" while the salt cell and it's broken union nut have a "pitch" to the threads. I know I'm not expressing that right.

There are two piece split nuts with two screws and the kind with a split on one side. but the ones I've seen so far, don't look they would work.

I'll keep you informed

I love it when the light goes in my head :roll:.

Chuckie, I just reread my last post and realized that I was comparing the inside diameter of the union nut from my 1 1/2" nut with the 2" nut from the salt cell. Duh, of course they would be different :hammer:

The threads on the salt cell are "buttress" threads, I believe. The inner diameter of that nut is approx. 70mm. I need to compare it with a 2" union nut. What I don't know is whether they would come in a "buttress" thread.

From looking around it seems most are either a "v" thread or an "acme or flat" thread. If nothing else, I'm educating myself on pvc fittings and thread types, so that's a good thing. What I have noticed is the nuts on a 1 1/2 union are the same as the 2" nuts as far as threading on, yet the 2" is smaller in overall size then the 1 1/2". Hmmm :confused:

UPDATE:

I think what we are looking for is a "UNRN20" split nut or magic plastics #0121109020 . It seems to be the right dimensions and thread

I just remembered... I had to cut the nut vertically because it was too tall. I used a hose clamp as a guide (so the hack wouldn't travel out of plane) and cut off about 1/4" so it would snug up against the couple part enough to compress the O ring.

Hi chuckie, just a follow up. I ordered two split nuts, (Valterra KO4052) They are pump union nuts. Installed them yesterday and they worked great. I believe they will seal and not leak, but won't know till spring when I hook the system back up next spring. It cost $13.41, they were $2.96 each, the rest was shipping. That's the bad thing about ordering online, often shipping is more than purchase.

Makes you appreciate Dave and TFTESTKITS more each day. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.