New pool build in Louisiana - design and build

It looks great!!! I was surprised to read that people report such high heating costs with gas. I only had one summer under my belt with the heater but my gas bill was never over $100 for my two largest usage months. I keep it at 86. We hardly had rain so maybe that played a factor? I'm curious to see what my gas bills are this upcoming summer if the weather varies from last year.

You can always add the heater so no harm in waiting. Plus you may use the pool differently than you though so that may impact what you ultimately put in.

Can't wait to see water in it!

It looks great!!! I was surprised to read that people report such high heating costs with gas. I only had one summer under my belt with the heater but my gas bill was never over $100 for my two largest usage months. I keep it at 86. We hardly had rain so maybe that played a factor? I'm curious to see what my gas bills are this upcoming summer if the weather varies from last year.

You can always add the heater so no harm in waiting. Plus you may use the pool differently than you though so that may impact what you ultimately put in.

Can't wait to see water in it!

On the heating costs they were mostly heating in October-November and Feburary-April to extend the swimming season. My brother had 2 diy solar panels on his ABG and could swim early April to about the end of October. He also used a clear solar cover. The return water temperature from his system on a sunny day was about 103F. We don't mind exercising in 76f to 78f water. So I am going to be very interested in seeing what temperature just a solar cover will raise the pool too. At my old house I had a 21ft by 52" ABG and I could count on a 10-13F rise in temperature. The problem was once the cover came off the temperature starting falling quickly. I still remember forgetting to remove the cover on a hot day and coming back to a 105F pool lol!

Your pool plans look beautiful. It was great seeing someone from Baton Rouge on TFP. We live about 30 miles north of you in Jackson, La. waiting on weather to clear for PB to start our pool with heater. We were hoping it would be in by Christmas but just too much rain. I have been very curious as to what heating cost would be to use the heater occasionally. Merry Christmas to All!

Hello All
Last week was a blur with the pool construction. Since our site was the "least sloppy" to get to. We actually got brickwork, electrical, cement decking and plaster. The plaster was finished Saturday and the pool was filled by late Sunday afternoon. The PB then did a startup of the pool on Monday. The water still has a cloudy tint in the first pictures due to the plaster dust. So far the only chemicals the PB has added to it the chlorine and acid to bring down the PH. My part of the startup consists of checking the PH and chlorine daily and brushing the pool. Right now the only adjustments have been to the PH.

To anyone considering a pool I would highly recommend a water feature. Just the sound of it is relaxing.

We still have the final dirt grading, landscaping, and the sundeck left to do. But we are getting closer.

Yes it looks inviting in the last 2 pictures but the water temp is 58F

Brick and Cement

image_3.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Plaster
image_2.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just turned on
image_1.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Light at night
image.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am near you in the Thibodaux area and just had the gunite shot last Saturday. I need to move on the coping soon and am regretting my selection of the the original "Old St. Louis" brick. Where did you purchase the imitation from?

Thanks!

We got ours from http://www.economybricksales.com/. In Gonazales they have a huge showroom of bricks. I would stay with the imitations. Even our PB was impressed with the way ours came out. They said they will only recommend imitation now since they have so much waste and problems with old bricks.

One thing about selecting brick for coping that I can't stress enough is to go to a showroom and actually feel the brick. You want something that will be smooth if you are using it for coping. Some of the colors we liked on the website where way to rough and the colors looked different when we brought samples home.

Last edited:
Looks great! Did you have any concern about the brick holding up to the salt water? I have New Orleans soft red on my house and would like to bring that in to my design.

I did have some. I talked to both the PB and the brick company and as long as I seal it they said it will be ok.
We liked the courtyard feel of the design. On the sealant I have to decide between the wet look or dry look one.

It is real simple to tell when you need to re seal it -- water stops beading on it.

When we stop getting the cold weather that keeps setting of the freeze protection on the pool and water feature I will seal it.

I still have about 3 1/2 weeks before I can add salt.

Thanks for the info. I think that I will have to go with a new brick. I don't think the old soft reds will hold up. We will be getting our concept drawings from the PB on Monday or Tuesday. Hoping to get started in a few weeks. Building down the road from you in Hahnville. I may be checking back with you as I get deeper in to it. Does the water feature have a metal spillway?

Thanks for the info. I think that I will have to go with a new brick. I don't think the old soft reds will hold up. We will be getting our concept drawings from the PB on Monday or Tuesday. Hoping to get started in a few weeks. Building down the road from you in Hahnville. I may be checking back with you as I get deeper in to it. Does the water feature have a metal spillway?

No we went with the sheer decent. It is a plastic one. I like the look of the copper ones but was concerned with the salt water corroding it. We saw the shear decent in a pool before we picked a water feature and liked the sound and flow pattern. One thing we did was put the waterfall inside the curve. This will stop it from splashing out as much as it would on a small straight wall with the wind. Found that out from another pool owner who had a straight back wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.