Everything at zero!

Otter has the links you'll need to follow as closely as possible.

Your Ph - looks good, TA - seems a little low; you should retest, but it is not critical now. Add bleach to go from your current FC of 6 to the recommended Shock FC of 16. Use PoolMath to calculate bleach based on 8.25% and feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Now the "fun" part. Add the bleach and brush. Re-test as often as you can and try to keep your FC above 16 at all times. Feel free to add a few ppm above 16 - with a green pool it will be consumed pretty quickly. Don't be discouraged when the green turns gray then takes several days with what seems like no change. You'll get there, and be sure your pump runs until the pool is completely clear. Backwash only after your clean pressure rises 25%.

Good luck and feel free to ask plenty of questions.

Reading this thread with great interest. Not to hijack it, just curious on what is and how to backwash the filter? I was under the assumption the filter had to be removed and cleaned? Is there another way? I am also going to be a first-time pool owner starting in a few weeks. Trying to learn and absorb all I can. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otter has the links you'll need to follow as closely as possible.

Your Ph - looks good, TA - seems a little low; you should retest, but it is not critical now. Add bleach to go from your current FC of 6 to the recommended Shock FC of 16. Use PoolMath to calculate bleach based on 8.25% and feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Now the "fun" part. Add the bleach and brush. Re-test as often as you can and try to keep your FC above 16 at all times. Feel free to add a few ppm above 16 - with a green pool it will be consumed pretty quickly. Don't be discouraged when the green turns gray then takes several days with what seems like no change. You'll get there, and be sure your pump runs until the pool is completely clear. Backwash only after your clean pressure rises 25%.

Good luck and feel free to ask plenty of questions.
Regarding pressure and backwashing, my clean pressure is 14. If I'm understanding correctly I backwash at 17.5?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Please let me know I'm understanding correctly. I'm to poor in 3 gallons of bleach, then wait an hour and test FC to ensure FC has reached 16. Then continue to test FC maintaining a level of 16 along with scrubbing and vacuuming until the water is clear? Then adjust the other things such as TA?

Your CYA is 40. Your SLAM level is 16. If you are using 8.25% bleach, based on the size of your pool, add the appropriate amount. I am guessing 25,000 gallons, based on what you wrote. Yes, test one hour later and then add enough bleach to bring your levels back up to 16. Your first few days will require a lot of testing to ensure you stay at the SLAM level. The M is for "maintain". Once your bleach additions decrease, you can scale back on the testing, but not before. If you get stuck, please post your time, results and additions. We will be glad to help you out.

Please add the size of your pool in your signature. Here are the links for Pool Math and CYA/FC relationship.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

You got most of it right..............do NOT worry about anything other than FC right now. The other levels will be adjusted IF needed when your pool is clear.

Don't forget to take and share a pic of your steps looking down at them. THAT is where you (and us) will see the difference in color as the bleach does it's work!

I am SO glad you got a good test kit!

Happy bleaching and brushing!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For posting pics.

Posting Photo's Tutorial

Try for every 3 hours for testing since you hit it so hard the first. IF you see the FC is going down below your target then bump the testing to every 2 hours.

You will find your sweet spot on testing. Do what is needed WHEN it is needed as you find it with your testing. The more you keep the FC at or above SLAM level the fast your pool will clear!

Kim

Brian:

Please be patient and the pool will clear up. If you take a sample of pool water in a clear glass and hold it over the pool, you will see that the water is not green like the pool. This is due to algae being formed on the walls, floors and steps.

While performing the SLAM, the key is to brush every inch of the pool to break up the algae and suspend it in the water, thus allowing the chlorine (bleach) and filter to finish the job. Once the pressure rises 25% above normal pressure, then please backwash. It is recommended you take a picture each day at the same time of the same area. This will show you the progress that is being made.

Oh yeah this is going to be a fun one to watch. The pic of the steps is the one you will want to retake each day. THAT will show you and us the progress.

Now remember it did not take a few days to get this green so..........it will take some time and bleach to get it clear again.

Have you used a deep net to see if there is anything on the bottom? If there is you should try to get as much of it out as you can. This will help speed up the SLAM>

KIm

Update: First I owe a huge thank you for advising me to take pictures. When I look at the pool I don't see much improvement but when I look at the pictures I certainly do! When I initially added the 3 gallons of bleach it brought my FC to 20.5. That was at 12:30 yesterday. Last night before bed, FC was 17.5 which was still good but I didn't want it to drop below 16 overnight so I added 1 gallon. This morning's FC is 18.5. I will give it a couple hours and retest. There were lots of leaves, acorns and debris in pool. I've gotten most of it out I believe but I'm sure as it clears more will be revealed. I scrubbed the pool yesterday twice and will begin again today.. Who needs a gym! Pressure is still holding steady. I cannot say enough how much I thank all of you!

OH yeah! There is quite a difference already for sure! It is very weird how your eyes cannot see it BUT the pics!!!!!!!!! For sure show it!

Do you have a manual vac? You might want to think about getting one to help get the stuff out. Right now you would be working blind but in a couple of days you should be able to see it.

Keep up the good work!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.