Taking the plunge in Alabama !

turbo997

Silver Supporter
Oct 12, 2015
Spanish Fort , Alabama
Hello , I am new here and must say that I never imagined that I would be building a pool!
I have decided to go the owner builder route , and have been lurking for a month or so.
At the ripe ol age of 42 I have a 15 year old boy , 8 year old girl , 3-1/2 year old girl , and a 2 month old little girl.
My wife spent most of last summer running the girls around finding new places to swim . We live somewhat in the country and it is kind of a pain for her to get out.
Now with a newborn it is going to be that much harder. I had been kicking around the idea for some time but honestly this summer just kind of made up my mind.
I have enlisted the help of a gentlemen that has a lot of knowledge and quite a few years under his belt building pools.
AS of right now , we have the gunite shell in place. So I am really trying to nail down the right equipment to go with , as well as the correct lighting , and the right plaster/color ,
Flagstone coping , decking , so on and so forth .
Super glad that I found this site !
Dimensions of free form pool - 44 x 20 x 30 - 9' wide sun shelf 18 feet long , with twin led bubblers . wedding cake stairs , couple of other formed benches.
pool will have a diving board , so it is 8 feet deep .
open to any and all suggestions !

Hello and welcome to TFP. :wave: We're certainly glad you found us, and I suspect you are very excited about your new pool. Rest assured we'll be here to help wherever we can. In the meantime, please copy & paste your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

And of course most important ... make sure you have the right test kit! None of that pool store junk. See the TF-100 link below in my sig. It should be priority #1.

The TFP gang will be watching for any specific questions you may have. Welcome!

Hello Turbo, and Welcome to TFP ,:wave:

How exciting it must be to be getting a new pol built, and congrats.

We're all really glad you're here, and please be sure to take plenty of pictures along the way because we love pics. (most folks use a site like photobucket to save their pictures on, and then you can just copy and paste your IMG link right into your post here at TFP).

I'm looking so forward to watching your build. Again welcome, and have a wonderful day. :)

We love it and are happy we did it. It is very natural looking and the water color in the sun is great. And dirt doesn't show up so much. We don't have a colored light so I can't comment on that. There are a couple of night pics with the light on in my build, link in sig.