Troubleshooting Tripping GFCI Box

Bimmer

Jun 20, 2012
I've had an issue with this tub for several years. Intermittently it trips the GFCI breaker and sometimes I can get in back on the same day, or it might take 2 days, or several days. Sometimes it trips every time I flip the switch and other times, like right now, I flip the switch and it doesn't trip, but it doesn't come on either. I did some checking and through process of elimination the steps are to disconnect the device until the problem isn't recurring and then you've discovered the culprit. The first was to find the Ozonator and unplug it. I did that and the tub came on but it shut down after 20 or 30 minutes. The next steps are to do the same thing with the blower and the pump but I don't know which is which. This is a Blue Ridge Spa that is discontinued now, But I've taken a picture in hopes that someone can tell me what I'm supposed to be looking for when it comes to the pump and the blower. Thanks folks!! Hot Tub Power Pack.jpg

Maybe replace your GFCI, they are not really meant to be reset a bunch of times. And check for loose connections or corrosion, including ground. Is there leaks someplace?

Nope, no leaks. The box is mounted about 5 feet away from the tub and it's only three years old. I took the cover plate off the face and it looks fine in there. No sign of heat or burning wires.

Ok sorry that looks like a bunch of repairs made. Why so many sliced wires? The pump wires on left you can trace to panel, heavy gauge.

Not sure I know what you mean by "sliced wires" Bandit. There are no sliced wires. So the pump is the unit that is connected to those two gate valves, each with a handle? If that is true then where is the blower? What does it look like in my picture? I'll see if I can get some better pictures. This was taken in low light with my cell phone.

The letters L and P are very near each other. I bet they meant to say 'spliced' wires.

Replace the GFCI. I've had them last anywhere from 6 months to 3 years. They never 'look' bad, but often times electronic devices don't. They just stop working.

This is the one I bought three years ago from Home Depot. I read all the customer reviews and they do seem to be prone to failure. My home breaker box is an old one with screw-in ceramic fuses and no room to add the hot tub. I had an electrician wire in a separate box just for the tub, so it is on a dedicated circuit. Makes it easier I guess to cut the power on the box and replace the spa pack.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-60-Amp-GFI-Spa-Panel-UG412RMW260P/100567181

Mine is the one called "Spa Pack" that includes a 110v breaker too. The GFCI isn't hard to change, just make sure the power is off going into the panel. Otherwise call somebody. Don't want to have to visit you in the hospital :)

Well after paying $65 for another box, I just swapped out the breaker from the new box I just bought. NO change. So I started unplugging more things not know what they are and low and behold after unpluggin this big black rectangular thing, the tub came on. While it was on, I plugged the plug back in, and it shut off. I notice that the plug had a flat prong flanked by two round prongs and one of the prongs looked darkened red/rust color as if it had gotten hot. Fortunately I could get the model number and sure enough it's the heater. It's a Model E2550-0300ET for Gatsby and Blue Ridge spas. Cheapest I could find was $179 with free shipping from a hot tub warehouse supplier. Thanks for the help folks! Much appreciated!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.