Newbie From Perth Western Australia.

So first thinig you need to do is get some CYA in there. Because you have a SWG you will want your CYA 70. Then you will want to increase your FC to at 5. This chart is shows the info: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

PoolMath will tell you the amounts to use to get to those values. It is recommended that you do the CYA is a few steps. You don't want to overshoot the amount, because the only way to reduce it is to replace some water. Since you are rainwater only, that cold prove problematic.

Hi Scott,

How's the pool actually looking- is it staying clear? Are you still putting in in Liquid chlorine or have you turned the SWG back on? Also wondering if you were still waiting for the kit you bought from eBay (was it the K-2006)? Jez

So I tested my pool today with the kit that arrived in the mail.. (NQtests) not the Taylor or TFTest kit

FC .6
TA200
PH7.2
Salt 5500
CYA 0
CH 0 (test was meant to turn orange if CH is present which it did not.)

I would be VERY slow to trust these results from your Australian based test kit. A reading of zero CH is rather odd and doesn't occur that often. It's even more unlikely to see this change when your tests before have read around 120ppm. Before doing much of anything I would wait on the K-2006 to arrive as seeing errors like that in any test greatly concern me.

Read my mind Leebo, I did run the hose (rainwater) into the pool for about 4 hours the other day so anything is possible in regards to the water quality up here. I also did some digging around the property and have found old chemicals there is only liquid and granular chlorine aswell and acid drums located. So its possible its never had stabilizer put in it aswell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Australian NQ pool test kit ( which has no relation to the TF-100) works for CH but the instructions are wrong, it states "orange to green" when they really mean purple to blue, repeat the test and look for a colour change to blue, note don't give up it could be up to 40 to 45 drops of reagent to get to the colour change point on the 25ml test.

I just came here linked from another thread, and if that is what this kit has for instruction, that is pitiful to say the least. If they can't get the instructions written out correctly and make sure they are right before printing and distribution, it makes me wonder what else is left out or wrong.