Newbie to BBB Method, seeking advice

Well, finished the draining yesterday. Also cleaned the filter, re-filled, and ran the pump for 3 hours. Here are the test results this a.m. :

FC= .5
TC= .5
PH= 7.6
TA= 120
CH= 160
CYA= 30 :-D

I looked at my watermeter before I started the refill, and guessed that I drained the pool about 80%. That puts my volume at 16,750 gal., which I will use for calculation.

Next step??? Get the FC level up immediately, I assume?? I will use the Pool Calculator based on my new volume to see where the FC level needs to be. Comments, Pls.

I was surprised to see the CYA level drop so far. Problem with a 30 level?? I know it may creep back up over the next week or so; will keep an eye on that.

Comments/advise on the rest of the readings, pls. Thanks again for all the help!!!

MCR,

Nice work on the CYA!! You will never regret that.

You can certainly raise CH at the same time you shock if you so choose.

For me, it's easier to adjust one element at a time in my pool water. You have the priority correct in addressing your FC first.....that is an item that needs immediate attention.

It won't hurt anything if your CH is addressed over the next few weeks.

Well, the shocking went well, and after the second night, I didn't lose any FC.

It has been really hot here (90 F +), and when I tested the pool last night, here are the values:

FC= 7.5
TC= 7.5
PH= 7.4
TA= 140
CH= 160
CYA= slightly less than 30

Question:

Should I try to raise the CYA level slightly? Seems to have lost a fair amount of FC(because of the heat?) I know the FC level will continue to fall on its' own down to my target, but is a CYA level of under 30 acceptable for a pool that receives full HOT!! sun 75% of the day?

I am going to start addressing the CH # over the next week, to a more acceptable level.

Next would be addressing the TA level?

Comments on current numbers/question pls.

I'm still learning, but getting more confident, thanks to all of your great info!! :mrgreen:

Pool is absolutely CRYSTAL CLEAR BEAUTIFUL!!

Now would be a good time to raise the CYA a little. The recommended range is 30 to 50. Since CYA falls slowly through the season (because of water getting splashed out), it is good to raise CYA towards the high end of that range early in the season.

You don't need to adjust the TA level right now, unless you are having any problems with PH constantly rising.

Thanks for the reply , Jason.

If my response wasn't clear, I will be addressing CH FIRST, then TA.

I added liquid stabilizer today to raise CYA to 40. I want to creep up on it; the high CYA got me into this mess to begin with!! :rant: I added 75% of the recommended amount, according to the PC.

Question: How long after a liquid stabilizer is added can you get an accurate reading on CYA??

I will monitor the PH level daily, to see if raises quickly or not.

Thanks for the advice.

Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.