Letting Local Pool Store Close -- Questions re: Algicide and FC Level

May 6, 2015
Chickasha, OK
This has been my first summer using the TFP method. Y'all have made a believer out of me, for sure. However, I'm slightly intimidated by the closing/opening process, as I've had the local pool store open and close for the last 4 years.

I've decided I'm going to have them close the pool this fall (like next week). I asked what chemical they usually use for closing, and they advised they typically use BioGuard Banish. I told them I didn't want to use copper, and asked if they had any polyquat algicide instead. They said they'd use BioGuard's Algae All 60 (60% polyquat), rather than Banish.

While looking through BioGuard's page on AA60, I noticed their instructions say to "Adjust chlorine to 1.0--3.0 ppm". This immediately concerned me. With my CYA at 40 ppm, my minimum FC is 3 ppm. I tend to keep my FC around 6.0 ppm to give myself a good amount of posterior coverage.

I've read many posts which advise increasing FC to SLAM level, then allowing it to drift back down to "half-SLAM" before adding polyquat, allowing that to circulate, then closing everything up.

What would be the recommendation of the forum in this instance?

FYI, I plan to open and close myself next year...

EDIT: Right after I posted this, I found this thread, along with chem geek's post in this thread.

I think that answers my question... :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.