Question about using Ultimate Pool Cover w/ mesh strip

May 21, 2015
Union, MO
Hello everyone,

I've done multiple searches and couldn't find any information to answer my question so I'm hoping someone here can offer some advice.

So I bought The Ultimate Winter Pool Cover for use this year on my 27' round AGP because I read several good reviews of the cover from users on this forum. I haven't lowered my water level or winterized my pool yet because I'm waiting for my water temp to drop first. I went ahead and installed the cover, however, because I wanted to install the brackets, try out the cover before it got colder and use it as a leaf guard.

The install went fine except I can't seem to get the cover tight. Everyone mentioned, and the instructions imply, that it should be pretty tight like a drum, but I can't seem to get it that tight. Right now the cover is sagging into the water in the middle and I have to keep the straps fairly tight to keep it there. My second issue is that I've noticed a gap between the walls and the dirt now which has me worried the cover is putting too much strain on the walls and it isn't even tight yet.

So to summarize, my two questions are;

1) how do I get my cover tight?
2) have you noticed excessive stress on your pool walls when the cover is installed properly or is the stress I'm seeing normal/due to an improper install?

I'm wondering if maybe the cover is clinging to the water which is adding the additional weight/stress which is preventing me from getting it tight? Any thoughts, suggestions or opinions are welcome!

Thanks so much,

Nate

I have a 15x30 above ground pool and use a 16/32 cover. I put 2 4x8 pillows in it and my cover is very loose. I fill the pillows less than 1/2 full and loosely tie to the walls with a lot of slack. Then I add some water to the cover. buy my cover pretty much floats on the water, so the water holds it down. I have had my pillows come together and separate since I leave them loose. My vote would be to leave it loose because when the snow an ice get on it, it will pull the walls in I would think if it is tight or yank to top rails off. Even with my oversized cover and loose I do sometimes see some stress from Ice. The last few years we have had bad winters and I lost at least one pillow the last 3 years. That is their job though to create a space for the ice to expand against rather than the walls.

Good luck, you gotta figure what works for you. But for me my cover will flap in the wind if I don't leave water on it.

I have a 15x30 above ground pool and use a 16/32 cover. I put 2 4x8 pillows in it and my cover is very loose. I fill the pillows less than 1/2 full and loosely tie to the walls with a lot of slack. Then I add some water to the cover. buy my cover pretty much floats on the water, so the water holds it down. I have had my pillows come together and separate since I leave them loose. My vote would be to leave it loose because when the snow an ice get on it, it will pull the walls in I would think if it is tight or yank to top rails off. Even with my oversized cover and loose I do sometimes see some stress from Ice. The last few years we have had bad winters and I lost at least one pillow the last 3 years. That is their job though to create a space for the ice to expand against rather than the walls.

Good luck, you gotta figure what works for you. But for me my cover will flap in the wind if I don't leave water on it.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. This is similar to how I secured the old cover we used last year. The new cover, however, has a ~6" strip of fine mesh down the center of it that is meant to let the water that rests on top filter through. It is my understanding that this type of cover is meant to go on tight like a drum so that most water will sheet across it and what does pool on top will just filter through the mesh. This is also supposed to allow any leaves and debris to simply blow across the cover instead of accumulating on top.

ultimate_large1_webbing-Med.jpg

This is the type of cover I have and how it should appear when installed. Looking at this picture it appears there may be a slight sag when installed, but not to the extent of this...

winter-pool-covers.jpg

This is how mine looks installed, except I've managed to pull it tight enough to where just the middle is laying on the water. I suppose it is possible that with my larger pool that I won't be able get it any tighter.

I have considered installing the cover similar to what you stated with a balloon in the middle. I think this would still allow the water to filter through and the cover to continue to float on top it just won't have the same leaf shedding properties. Thanks again for the reply.

Nate

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.