Hello from an excited Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma!!

Go Spartans, we are also Bixbians, I will PM you who we went with as a PB. They are very good and we have not had any issues. They were very good in the design process, and they appear to go above and beyond in the building process. They are not the cheapest, but as you probably seen many of horror stories on this website, sometimes the lowest builder is not who you want to go with. I know of at least 5 other people who had their pools built, so far no issues, everyone has been very happy.

Bob and Crackerjack4u- thank you!! I love things that make life easier! And two sounds like the way to go for sure!

Kim- thank you for searching for that post! What great information! I think we are going with plain salt deck. I didn't see that discussed. I'm hoping it won't be scorching on our tootsies.

Oklapoolma and pooldv- I am super appreciative of you weighing in! The more I hear of how others have built their pools, how they are using their space, and any regrets or changes they would make if they did it again, the better! It's helping me wrap my mind around how we should do this. Thank you!

Chiefwej- it took me a few times of rereading your description to picture it (I'm a visual person). That sounds wonderful! I'll be sure to find out the depth of our sun shelf and bench.

Is there a way to delete pictures to free up space? I have a picture from the PB I was going to attach but I've reached my limit ��. I can't do the $100 right now...

TulsaKevin- hello fellow Bixby resident! Good to know we can expect great things from our PB!

+1 on what Marla above said. Set up a Free account on Photobucket and just post the IMG links right in your posts. You can do a complete album there if you want, and just link it right into your post.

But to answer your questions on deleting any unwanted pics, just go to the top of this page just below the big Pool School button on the right and click on Settings then look down the left side of your page for the Bold My Settings Tab the last choice under that tab says Miscellaneous----->Attachments. Once There you can put a check in the little box on the right hand side by the pic you want to delete and then click Delete Selected at the bottom. I hope this helps, and have a nice night. :)

Thank you Marla and crackejack4u!!
Here's drawings from the PB

although because of easement constraints this is not the style I really really wanted, I have decided to be content. This shape gets us the most sq footage of water and that's the most important thing.
We will be modifying it some before we finalize it. image.jpg

That looks an awful lot like my pool, with only a couple differences. My spa is not raised, but at water level and offset on the same side as the sun shelf. Also my bench runs the other direction off of the sun shelf, both of which are set at the second step level.

Here is the original plan for the pool. As you can see it's much the same as yours with the spa shifted to the side and bench running along the length vs the width.

My depth is 3.5, 5, 4. But in retrospect, I would have preferred 4,5,4. The 3.5 is at the end nearest the spa. We had umbrella sleeves put in center at each side for volleyball net. Unlike you, we wanted a geometric pool. The free form style is just so overdone and wastes so much space. They describe and price the pool (width and length) based on the absolute longest measurement, but it doesn't give you near as much swim area.

View attachment 43102

I don't know what's going on here, but every time I try to upload these it comes out upside down. Maybe you can turn them over to see what it actually looks like.

View attachment 43106

image.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Crackerjack4u- I'm growing to love it more and more each day. I'm pretty obsessed and, that being the case, I look at it and dream of tweaks, changes, enhancements, etc., for much more time than I care to admit

- - - Updated - - -

Chief! I found your original post with your pool pics and now I'm considering a pool level spa...
Your pool is beautiful!!!

Chiefwej- thanks for the info on your pool! The umbrella holes are a great idea! I told my hubs that it is something we need to consider doing. We are still torn on depth. I'm only 4' 10 1/2" and although the grandbabies won't always be little, I will always be short.;)

Having 6 grandkids here I have found training and swimming lessons have helped the most. They grow like weeds now the oldest turned 9 this year and being part mermaid really helps out with the younguns as 100% adult supervision is mandatory with a pool.
The little ones, 2 @ 5, 2 @ 3, 1 @ 2 I just tell them the same thing I told the oldest one, here is a donut hang on kick if you let go you will die :) The wife is all about life jackets but I don't beleive you learn to properly swim using life jackets.
Luckily their swimming instructor makes the "Soup Nazi" look like a good guy.
I wish I could go deeper then the 60" I am at now and probably will as they jump into the pool all the time off of the ladder, it's what kids do, so a deeper pool would let me put in a diving board and slide.

My wife is 5'2", and I can say without any hesitation that if she were 4'10 1/2", I wouldn't be saying that we would prefer 4' over 3.5'. I think you would be better to keep at least one end at 3.5'.

Did you also find it interesting how similar your plan is to my pool? What is your overall length and width, and are you up against your maximum with the required easements and setbacks?

LFrankow- That's great advice to your grandkids! True statement!! As a critical care RN, I know lots of lifesaving skills- none of which I want to practice on those babies!! My son and daughter were both competitive swimmers, so swim lessons and water safety are highly valued in our home. These will begin in earnest soon! I've also told them that they need to get their BLS certifications. No BLS, no swimming when I'm not there. Hubs is getting his as well. Better safe than tragically sorry.

and I have thought about the "jumping in" factor with my depth, that's why I was thinking of going deeper but I don't want an area that doesn't get much use.....oh, decisions, decisions...

I can only say there is no part of my pool that doesn't get a lot of use. Probably the least used is, believe it or not, tha spa. Not that it isn't used a lot, just not as much as everything else. The sun shelf, bench are used by adults, kids and even the occasional Golden Retriever. The main body of the pool for swimming, volleyball, water aerobics, and just hanging out.

We love the sport depth, it's perfect for every use except diving, and I'm of the opinion that diving is not safe in any typical residential pool. Very few pools have a deep enough and large enough deep well to completely eliminate the possibility of serious injury. Four or five feet is plenty deep enough for swimming and great for volleyball and anything else in the pool.

Chief-Yes! It is so great to see a finished product that looks so similar to ours- I had my husband look at it about 30 seconds after he woke up this afternoon (he works nights). I like how having the spa level gives the overall visual impression of a larger pool. But I like the elevated "fancy-ness" of our drawing, too.

We have a 17' easement off the back fence line that runs smack through the center of our yard. Only gives us about 14' off the patio so we can't go as wide as I'd like. Originally we were quoted a 17'x27' (17 at the tanning ledge as they are cutting into the patio about 3'). We just got a revised quote for 17x30. We could probably go 32 or 33 but we need SOME decking. Deck on pool opposite end from spa is just 6 ft wide and that's as far as we can go. Everything on the landscape side is easement and unbuildable.

On the spa side where the sidewalk disappears toward the front of the house we actually want all of that cemented and stubbed for a small outdoor cooking space. I'd love to see if we can fit a fire pit on the other side of the spa close to the easement. Since we can't pour concrete there I thought maybe we could do stone or some type of gravel. With high fire danger at times here in Ok, grass too close is a no-no, which you know waaaay better than most.

Just for comparison, the main part of my pool is 16x34. The spa is 7x7, as is the sun shelf. My pool is a bit larger than most of my neighbors' because we were able to take advantage of the fact that our back line runs on an angle to the house. So we set the pool perpendicular to the lot instead of the house. I think you will be able to get a very nice pool into your space.

One question I have is regarding the easement. Usually you can't build anything there, but often you can put down pavers as long as they aren't cemented in. That would allow for the space to serve as pool deck. Also I have a complete outdoor kitchen that is actually two "portable" units. One is a very large gas grill with several drawers and doors in the base, and the other is a combo sink and refrigerator. They are both on casters and can be moved. Could you not put down pavers then use portable units in the easement area? Usually an easement, just says a utility company or whoever retains a right to access that area, and that you can't build anything permanent in that area that may hamper that free access. For example when I built a fence across an easement it was permitted with the understanding that they could knock down my fence to gain access, and would bare no responsibility for repair or replacement of it. When I lived in Illinois, I was even permitted to build a "portable" shed in a utility easement, again with the understanding that if access was required I would remove it or it would be destroyed.

Us desert rats in Vegas are very concerned with deck temperature, because we get 115+ degrees during our summer and the ground is a scorcher here ;).

I have not seen the salted concrete type anywhere around here, the 1st time I'd heard of it was on this forum when searching for deck options. Based on some of the surface temps that I have been able to check on, I'm going to guess that the temp of the salted concrete is going to depend more on the color, are you going with standard concrete or having it colored?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.