Questions about upgrading pump motor to 2-speed

deanchat

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 19, 2008
Tidewater, VA
Hi Everyone,

I have a 3/4 hp Pentair Challenger (I believe it is a High Head) that is controlled by an AutoPilot Dig 220 which I would like to upgrade by swapping in a two-speed motor. I want the Dig 220 to still control the pump on/off schedule. A couple of questions...

1) I have two pop-up bottom returns (they are my only returns other than a step jet). Will the pump on low speed have enough power to pop the return heads up?

2) Does anyone sell a motor that has a manual hi-low switch already installed? I can’t seem to find any.

Thanks,
Dean

Good questions Dean.

I would like to do the same and want to know if there needs to be any modification to the impeller or any other part of the pump area, install, gaskets etc.. I have a single speed 2.5 horse power motor and it works great and moves a ton a water. I actually like it, as it works well with solar on my roof with no issues. I'm interested in a manual hi-low option too.

Good questions Dean.

I would like to do the same and want to know if there needs to be any modification to the impeller or any other part of the pump area, install, gaskets etc.. I have a single speed 2.5 horse power motor and it works great and moves a ton a water. I actually like it, as it works well with solar on my roof with no issues. I'm interested in a manual hi-low option too.

hey there, looks like you did not get a response from last year..

I am not sure about your pump but mine (1hp Super Flo 2 speed 340042) comes with a manual switch to change from low to high but I did not use it.. mine is wired into my Intermatic PE653RC Wireless Control System and that changes the speeds depending on how I set up the timer..

Hope this helps :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.