New Pool - Smooth Liner?

dmcody

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 9, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
New Pool and the liner was put in last Friday. Looked ok when it was installed, but now a week has gone by and I'm noticing some pitting in the under layer and just how "Not Smooth" the bottom is. Pool Co. is coming tomorrow for other reasons and I'm curious as to the community thoughts on the appropriate course of action. Take it out and do it again or am I over reacting? 20150917_195413.jpg20150917_195343.jpg

Please read your contract. If you ever go into a liner pool at night, you will probably never go again with the light on. Most liner pools are constructed with galvanized steel walls with a sand/Portland cement mix or vermiculite. There will be imperfections. I doubt the PB will remove the liner and do this again. Sometimes the base settles and you will see imperfections like this. I have heard that sometimes they disappear and sometimes others show up. Remember, that the vinyl liner is holding the water in place and there is gravity everywhere and there will be some shifting.

Please make sure you have proper drainage and all water runs away from the pool. Most liner problems occur because soil is removed somewhere on your property and eventually it runs back to under the base of the pool, causing issues like this. If you have any type of decaying material in the soil, eventually this will show up. The other issue is if you have high water tables, this could cause a long term problem. You would know this when they dug the base (if they hit water, that could be something you need to be concerned about). Are these pictures without water? It appears that there is no water. The liner will stretch, and they are designed for this.

Hope this helps.

I'll read the contract and see. Pics taken with water in the pool. Low GW table, the excavation was open for 1 month and there was no water in the bottom. We also have proper drainage and sloping. I've made sure of that. I just didn't see the bottom of the pool before the liner went in and now I'm wishing I had.

THanks

Take it out and do it again or am I over reacting?
I believe you will create an issue (not that there is anything wrong with that) if you suggest they do it over......mostly because, that is pretty close to as good as it gets. Vermiculite bottoms are virtually impossible to get flat and, unless you shine a light across them at night, it is not something you see. Your dark liner only accentuates the issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.