new pool--first test results

Whooo Hooo. :whoot: It sounds like you are doing awesome, and certainly heading in the right direction.

Just one important reminder the pH level will Not be accurate with a FC level above 10ppm (it will register high), so during the SLAM when your chlorine levels are above 10ppm there's no need to test the pH, just save your reagents and wait to retest it once your chlorine level drops back down. Keep up the great job, and have a wonderful day.:)

Thank you for this info Cracker, I had totally forgotten that.

Just to be clear, the PB hasn't been adding anything in like 4 days. I have taken over the chemistry and testing. I think I will do another OCLT just to be safe

I would say that if you are cleaning the filter everyday and your PB is adding chemistry and you are adding chemistry that you do NOT have a good understanding of the SLAM process.

If you would like to get the pool crystal clear and get your chemistry under control, one of you needs to stop adding chemistry and that someone should be your PB.

Do you understand how to SLAM your pool? Is your PB still adding chemistry? Can you post a complete set of test results? Have you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School? What does your water look like? Is there ANY sign of algae? You cannot SLAM using pucks and I suggest you take them out.

Sorry to be harsh but it looks to me like you are doing a lot of guessing and not taking a methodical approach to your pool water. Have you read the SLAM article in Pool School?

I do think you were a bit harsh considering I thought you were literally posting in the wrong thread:

In my very first post I posted a full list of values using the T-100 test kit

I have taken over the chemistry 100%. The only reason that I let my PB continue initially was because all they were adding was 10% bleach and I let them foot the bill.

Yes, I have read all of the pool school articles 100 times including how to SLAM. Unfortunately, I had to SLAM a brand new pool, which is horrible. But I think I finally got it under control if you would bother to read my thread. Thanks for the help.

Also, does anybody wish they had a bigger pump? The streamers only look good when the pump is on high and even then, a slight clog in the filter restricts the flow so much I wish I had a third gear. Cleaning the filter daily is a pain in the bum

Any thoughts on this ^^^^?

Just a couple questions first:
- What was your FC level last night during the OCLT?
- Other than the OCLT, is the water clear? And did you check CC's this morning?

Actually, that's 3 questions isn't it. :)

FC 18 last night and 17 this a.m.
Water is mostly clear but there is a little haze in the deep end. I am convinced this is from sand still at the bottom (I haven't vacuumed it all out because they are pouring concrete soon and I'll have to clean it again anyway). I bet there's a good 2 or 3 pounds of sand scattered across the bottom.

Oh, and CC's have been 0 for 2 or 3 days now, checking night and morning.

That all sounds quite good then. As long as you are sure the cloudiness (haze) is from the sand and not something residual from algae you should be okay. That's a tough call. Only you really will know that. Of course if you ever suspect your water is taking a turn for the worse, you know how to SLAM. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To me the water is not clear, it's hazy so the test is not passed. Sand will not create hazy water. Sand (as with most sediments) are heavy enough to settle to the ground, creating clear water through which to view the sediment on the bottom. And it was just last night that you said you were having to continually clean the filter. It was just a few days ago that the pool evolved from green to cloudy. For it to be algae-free that quick seem unlikely. Also, OCLT is 1, which is the max to pass the test, but your water isn't clear, so 1 vs. .5 or zero indicates it's still killing stuff. SLAM doesn't seem done to me. Always better to ensure that all three tests are unequivocally met, then SLAM another few days for safety (my conservative thought only) then you are good.

Of course there is always the remnant alagae in ladders, light niches, etc. which could possibly need addressing if not going according to plan.

Dang it, you guys were right. Pool is still cloudy even though I have been vacuuming sand like crazy. I'm starting the SLAM process over. I re-checked my CYA yesterday with my back to the sunlight and I think I'm getting better at that test. It was right at 30. I have turned off my inline chlorinator (pucks) as I do not want to raise my CYA further until I finish my SLAM. In fact, I just removed them completely from the inline.

My question is that my PH has been slowly lowering over the past few days, it is now at 7.2. (has not been under SLAM). Is this a concern? Should I not worry about it or should I aerate?

Also, I know that I should run the pump 24/7 while SLAMMING but should it be on low or high? I am finding out that my pump is probably too small for my pool--on low it barely moves water at all. But I have read it filters a little better on low, so I've been running on that

PH at 7.2 is fine anytime and good for slamming. Pump on low is fine for slamming.

That is probably dead algae, not sand. And it is probably also clogging up your filter. Algae clogs up filters quickly.

Dang it, you guys were right.

Could you say that a little louder, my DW didn't quite catch that.

But I digress. You've got the right approach. Best of luck with the new slam. Report back with details or for encouragement.

Continuing to SLAM. Water is clearing up nicely but that Chlorine is sure working on something. Lost 2.5 PPM overnight last night. This is taking awhile, and cleaning the filter, vacuuming, and scrubbing EVERY DAY is a real pain. I hope it ends soon. Will keep you all updated

The good thing about cartridge filters is that they filter very well. The bad thing about cartridge filters is that they filter very well. ;) During an algae outbreak and then SLAM, you'll have to clean them often. Stay on top of the filter and brushing, including brushing ladders and BEHIND any lights and you'll be there in no time.

The good thing about cartridge filters is that they filter very well. The bad thing about cartridge filters is that they filter very well. ;) During an algae outbreak and then SLAM, you'll have to clean them often. Stay on top of the filter and brushing, including brushing ladders and BEHIND any lights and you'll be there in no time.

You can say that again JV. They filter really well :cool:

The bad news is that we are going to be out of town for the weekend. The good news is we have a house sitter who will be adding chlorine on a set schedule. I'm aiming for going above SLAM levels because no one will be using the pool. Does this sound okay?

I will give a good scrub and filter cleaning right before I leave (Friday after noon) and again when I get back (Sunday after noon). I guess I could ask her to at least scrub the pool once while she's there.

You can squeak a bit above SLAM but going much over really isn't going to do much more and can actually be sort of a waste of $$$ as the higher FC you have, the more is lost to sunlight, in relative terms. Sounds like a good plan.

I'm thinking better to go a bit above than to risk going below and then having to add more down the road, thus costing more $$$ anyway. Am I crazy? I won't be testing for a couple of days but checking my logs I can approximate how much bleach I've been needing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.