Who's building it and how much?

I have 5 quotes for the same pool and they all range from 35k to 41k. A lot of pool builders in the valley went out of business during the economic downturn and the strong companies that are left are extremely competitive in price and for business. Its also coming into our offseason so pools are slightly discounted right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been "shopping" and interviewing builders for a month and a half. I am very close, to signing. Still not sold on Stonescapes mini pebble, Pebbletec pebble sheen is about 1000k more. The contractor is going to take me to a few jobs he has done with mini pebble to try to ease some of my concerns.
We have Stonescapes Mini Pebble in tropics blue... We love the water color and it is nice on the feet, not slippery nor abrasive.. We had many pool parties, and no one ever complained about the surface but they all give compliments on how nice the finishe is. I did add ablone shells to add some sparkles.
41680ac0dbc4bb4f38e7ebc2b5fcdac9.jpg
I think you will like the mini pebble finish.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Ha! Financing.. I am a wizard at these loans now! I researched like mad and did a home improvement loan with 50% job add back. If bid is 50k they add 25k to the market value of home before they do the formula to figure equity.. makes all the difference in giving you enough equity. Had to tell a few banks how to plug in the numbers in the right order to figure the equity correctly.

Counts basically as a 2nd mortgage so its the lowest interest rate you can get and the interest is tax deductible. Then property value improved, tax and land value always go up anyway.. the equity went from about 50k before pool to about 80k in a year.. about 100k now. Now I will refi and roll both together prob in a 15 yr note with even lower interest rate.

I also split my bid up and got the patio, extra concrete and fence on a separate personal bank loan to finish the project. Will be able to roll that into the refi also if I want.. lower interest rate and deductible.

It took a little financial creativity because I really didn't have much equity .. but with the job add back % added to the market value, you have more! It took me a while to figure it out but I did and so glad I did it!
892f1b3e59505f4e0a1a0fc6354fbbce.jpg

As an update to my build. I got prices on a paver patio and wanted to share. I had expected $15-$20 per square foot for installed pavers. I was thinking closer to $20 because where I live everything seems to be on the higher side. The prices I got were $15.30 and $16 / sq ft. so I was happy with that. The quotes were for Techo Bloc Blu 60 mm pavers. This was for 325 sq ft of patio around my stairs end (rest will be grass). I also got a second quote for 500 more sq ft of patio because we're thinking of replacing our ground level deck (same paver). So the price was the same per sq ft if we only did the 325 sq ft or both projects.

I used techo block Inca pavers and it was 12:50 a square foot for about 1000 square feet. My contractor did not use a concrete base (just compacted rocks or gravel), which I believe would have been more expensive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After doing my own owner build here in San Antonio, Texas I couldn't even touch some of the finished pool prices posted here. I've seen several threads on this site where the pool has almost no rebar in it and the gunite is paper thin. This will translate into less strength where it counts and cracking will be severe. But, it will look the part until the builder is long gone. In my opinion, this approach is not something that people can use to try and get a better pool. A cheaper pool, yes. Most builders in San Antonio were giving us bids in the $150k range to build our pool which is when we started researching doing it ourselves. We have also found that quality pool equipment was ALWAYS something you had to specifically ask these builders about as 100% of the bids we received (even with a pool over $150k) came with the cheapest possible pool equipment available. This means non-variable speed pumps, no heater, a cheap sand filter (usually undersized) and a single standard pool light.

I love this thread and looks like I am another lucky Arizonian because I got a great deal on my pool as well. It is currently being built and we are just about to have the rebar/steel done tomorrow. I just met with the PB for the first time, 3 weeks ago, and signed the contract the next day, March 16th, so things are moving right along with an estimated completion date of the end of this month....6 weeks total. Caribbean Pools is our builder. This is our pool specs and price:

75' Perimeter, 28' X 15' Free-Form, IG Shotcrete Pool
10,800 Gallons
330 sf. Concrete Decking
12' X 14' Baja Tanning Shelf with wide entrance steps to the right
Handicap Entrance Rail
10' Bench on opposite end
2' Sheer Descent Water Feature
6 Umbrella Sleeves
2 Hayward LED Color Lights
Hayward Tri-Star VS Pump
4 Looped Returns
Pool Vac
Skimmer
Hayward c3030 cartridge filter
All required electrical and plumbing included
6" waterline tile
Aerator
Water Leveler
Permits
Taxes
Pre-grade of existing landscape rock in back yard (1,000 sf.)
R&R Decorative Wall for excavation access

Total price after permits and taxes: $23,270.00

If we didn't have to get the back yard pre-grade and the wall R&R, the cost would have been about $21K.

We are not having the PB do the acrylic topping on the deck as we found a local company to do concrete stamping at $3 sf. so we are having the 330 sf. decking the PB is installing and our existing 288 sf. concrete patio done with the concrete stamping at $3 sf. We had originally contracted for acrylic lace on the decking but asked the PB to credit us for the cost so we could have the other company do all the concrete stamping for $3 sf. (total is 618 sf. @ $3 = $1,854.00) The PB gave us an $880 credit so they were charging us $880 to apply acrylic lace on 330 sf. of concrete decking. The same local company charges $1.75 for acrylic lace/kool deck coating, so they have fabulous prices.

We are in the middle of the build right now but once it is complete I will post photos. Meanwhile, I will just share the layout from the PB designer to give you an idea of what it will look like when complete. You will have to forgive my Fisher-Price artwork of flowers and bushes, LOL!!! And yes, that brown thing I drew on the left is supposed to be a garden bench! ROFL!

I have a thread with all the build photos so far here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...d-Buckeye-(Phoenix)-AZ-Excited-and-Impatient!

BACKYARD1231a.jpg

i'm moving to AZ just to get a pool built!

LOL! We really do have great prices on pools, even on landscaping and things like the concrete stamping, etc. Two years ago I had patio pavers installed on my front patio and walkways. The cost for the pavers was $1.65 sf. and the guys charged me $1.25 sf. for installation, so out the door, installed price was $2.90 sf. They are gorgeous pavers to, lovely tans and grays with deep rust color through them. We could have upgraded to the veneers for $2.90 sf. but decided not to. Even my artificial grass is going to cost me $1.60 sf. for some very nice/realistic 1 and 3/4 inch, 70 ounce face weight turf and then $1.50 sf. for installation. This is the part of living in the very hot summer heat that makes it worth it.

Why don't I live in AZ? I'm stuck in Ohio with 9 months of winter and am paying $49k for a basic 20x40 vinyl liner sport pool with 4' of plain concrete decking. Looking at $60-70k after the extra concrete and fencing are added in. I might get 4 months out of the pool each year. The pool building market isn't very competitive here because there is no market for inground pools. LOL! I'm drooling over the fancy pools I see on here! Sun shelves? Bubblers? I've never even seen a pool like that in real life!

Why don't I live in AZ? I'm stuck in Ohio with 9 months of winter and am paying $49k for a basic 20x40 vinyl liner sport pool with 4' of plain concrete decking. Looking at $60-70k after the extra concrete and fencing are added in. I might get 4 months out of the pool each year. The pool building market isn't very competitive here because there is no market for inground pools. LOL! I'm drooling over the fancy pools I see on here! Sun shelves? Bubblers? I've never even seen a pool like that in real life!

have you seen post #14 on this thread? LOL...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.