Which would be best to clean grout...CLR or vinegar (or other acid)?

Jul 20, 2014
Berks County, PA
Hi,

I either have an efflorescence problem and / or calcium deposits on my gray tile grout. It was recommended to me by my builder to try CLR, and yet the manufacturer states to not use it on colored grout. Has anyone used this product? Not really wishing to work with muriatic acid, I was going to try a vinegar / water mix. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Keith

Well CLR is a combination of Lactic Acid and Lauramine Oxide, but I'm not sure the hazards of that being mixed into your pool water.

One side of my pool is about 4 feet higher than the other sides, which holds back the yard due to a sloping lot. I constantly have efflorescence issues due to what I believe is ground water migrating through the pool shell/plaster and then the grout on this tiled wall.

I tried vinegar but it is too weak and just irritated me when I tried to use it.

I was able to beat it back with a combination of a pumice stone, GENTLY scraping with a common screwdriver and liberal use of muratic acid. I need to ad acid a couple of times a week, so the additional acid was no problem for my chemistry. Many people don't like handling it, but by being careful and thinking about what you are doing before you do it helps a lot. Once you get a good wiff of the fumes you really want to be more careful.....

I bought a " Purity Pool OS Out Spot Stain Remover " (check Amazon) and found it helps hold acid over an area that needs a lot of help -

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.