inline chlorinator vs floater - CalHypo

Cal Hypo tablets require a special type of dispenser as they dissolve into mush quickly, in general we do not suggest Cal-Hypo for long term chlorination as it can cause your calcium levels to get out of control over time. How bad this is depends on the CH of your fill water and how much water replacement you have each year. If you happen to live where there is low CH fill water and a high amount of CH free rainfall doing water replacement then Cal-Hypo may be a valid option. Cal-Hypo can also cause water clouding under some circumstances which can be confused with other problems.

Strictly answering your question, I would go in-line. The floaters are always in the way and stink, plus I think you get better distribution with an in-line setup.

As far as if you should run pucks in it on a regular basis, the answer on this forum seems to be a resounding no. But I have found that with all of my rain/overflow that I need to run pucks to keep the CYA and TC up. I personally have an in-line chlorinator with a dial on it from 0-5 and I keep it on 1 since my pool is small and I do not want to have super high CYA.

Now I know why my CA shoots up in aug. The month of no rain usually in TN. I know a person who has one of these in TX and they swear by it but Houston also gets a good bit of rain. I learned to take care of a pool the way this site teaches it. I had a pool in florida and would just go fill my chlorine bottles every 2 weeks and it was just a few dollars. Not so anymore. So if I understand all the post if I put one in I cant use the HTC tabs and only use it during the rainy months to keep CA in check. After start up and CY is low say 40 how much 8% bleach are you pouring in daily?

It should also be said that you should NEVER mix Cal-Hypo with Trichlor or even put Cal-Hypo in containers including dispensers where Trichlor has been used as the results can be explosive. In addition to this Cal-Hypo tablets will not work in a trichlor inline chlorinator as they disolve too fast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.