Polaris Feed Hose Too Stiff???

May 24, 2009
NoVA
My 380 is about 20 years old. I've tuned it up more than once w/ the Tune-Up Kit. It's been working better than ever this year, mostly when the heater's on. But, with the pool temp over 80, I'm not running the heater lately. 380 had a couple of leaking swivels, so I replaced 2 this year. Now, the hose seems much too stiff and actually seems to keep the 380 from settling back down to the bottom after the back-up valve cycle.

All the hose floats seem to float, no leaks, wheels turn @ about 30 RPM, sweep hose sweeps, & thrust jet is set at 7 o'clock. Tried 11:00, 1:00, now back at 7 w/ no real difference at any setting.

So, last resort, replace the whole hose??? It's the original hose. Does it really get too stiff over time to work effectively?

P.S. Just learned of the "leader hose" (after all these years) and ordered one. I'll try that for ~$40 before replacing the whole length.

Any thoughts??? Thanks!!!

I've got a similarly aged Polaris - not entirely sure of the number - and wondered if the hose needs replacing, too. It's got a leak or two and seems stiff. I see the Pool Store had them in stock, but didn't look at the prices. I also think it'd reach the whole pool if it were four feet longer... If a new one is lots more flexible, maybe it's time.

I was having problems with my Polaris 380 getting stuck in corners. It started when water temp fell to about 70. I tried everything I could think of then it occurred to me it would run just fine until the hose got completely straightened out- at which point it could not "re bend" the hose and would just stay stuck in the far corners. I just replaced the hose tonight ($105 on eBay) and it is amazing. I actually reduced pump speed because of the overall performance improvement. Water temp today is 57 and working great!

Same experience here last year. I replaced the long hose (feed or lead? The d45) and had a huge difference for the better. I didn't realize the shorter hose was a different size so that didn't get replaced. When I opened 2w ago I noted Polaris kept spinning in circles and was comepletely because the shorter hose nearest the Polaris had a permabend to one side. It's on my shopping list but for now I just rotated it so the end is straight back and symmetric- works better but still needs replacement.

Polaris 280 owner here. Same results....new feed hose made a world of difference in "Bruce's" performance. That and a rebuild kit, and he behaves like new.

Something else, I wish I had learned about "sand and silt" bags a long time ago. They are amazing at catching the little stuff. Now we run the normal bag in the fall, and a sand/silt bag the rest of the year.

Bryan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.