Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY Pool Controller

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY Pool Controller

new2me,

Perhaps this should be a new thread, {Yes, indeed. Split and moved. JasonLion}, so as not to hijack the Intex SWG thread. I have only just begun to investigate the idea of building my own pool controller. However in doing so i also found the Goldline of controls from Hayward. These seem interesting, but expensive. I quickly read the atari article that you liked to. That is more in line with my budget and I am also have a background with electronics (18 years) and am also an electrician, so this seems doable. Not sure which way I want to go yet. Perhaps I will start a new topic and others that have some experience with this will chime in...
    -inBamaNow

16x32 Hydra Liner, Hayward 24" Pro Sand Filter, WhisperFlo 1HP Pump, Hayward CL200, AquaChem Test Kit =[

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY Pool Controller

I saw an X-10 pool controller that was not that expensive. Do a search and see what you find.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: DIY Pool Controller

A pool controller following standard designs requires a UL rated cabinet and several UL rated AC relays. That will require some initial investment, but nothing like what the standard pool automation systems costs. Once you have that it is just a micro-controller and programming, which doesn't need to be expensive or difficult.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School