Another DFW Pool Build... Mansfield

They actually removed the rock from the steps yesterday and are putting new rock down today... they have worked on the water feature adding a few rocks to even it out as well.... PB said once the pool is full and we turn on the pump for the weeping wall... we might have to do some more adjusting.... just depends on water flow and coverage over the rock.... hopefully its all good and we don't have to do anything to it. The rock on the steps was just not level and not even with the coping and deck.... We are very excited... Our son turns 8 next week and the plan was to have a pool party on the 26th for him, but we didn't know about plaster till today... so we might have family over but doing something else with all his friends. PB will put the mastic in Monday or Tuesday as we didn't want to push plaster out.... but after that PB will do startup I'm guess Monday or Tuesday as well.... so after that we are done.... Well... i need about 6 pallets of grass for the backyard. Guess I need to go to Sams and get some bleach and Lowes/Home Depot for some muriatic acid today or tomorrow!!

Very smart!!! Get those chemicals and have them ready on day one!!! My PB was in charge in the beginning, but he gave me the reigns like on about day 2 once he saw all my notes and charts from TFP. I still texted him with the chemistry levels, but he was always very supportive. I felt very connected to my pool by doing the testing and adding chemicals.

Suz.

Well.... I pulled the plug on plaster as the stone work that go redone today on some steps does not match the coping. The coping has been a point of frustration as complaints earlier in the built seemed to fall on deaf ears. We wanted it to be darker.... And now the steps are dark and pool coping is very light and all the same color. Attached is a picture showing the difference. Should be having a meeting tomorrow with pool company....
7eb22494d4590911c2c1327044242549.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see what you are talking about............AND what about the two pieces that were added late on the coping? Is that what the rest of the coping looked like before it dried?

I could live with how the coping and steps are different IF the two added pieces will blend in.

I do have to say I LOVE the colors on the steps. It is too bad they did not listen when you first said something......I bet they were/are hoping you would get over it and accept what they had done.

HUGS! Oh for a pair of ears that listen to the person writing the checks!!!

Kim

I agree with Kim. I love the color on the steps! Makes for a dramatic effect! But maybe that's not what you wanted. Lol! Perhaps if those 2 stones blend in on the coping, you can negotiate either a discount or an upgrade of some kind from your PB, but only IF you can live with it as is. With the darker colors on the steps and wall, you see much more of that beautiful flagstone than you would have if just the coping was dark. But that's just my 2 cents.

- - - Updated - - -

And this makes the steps clearly defined. Sometimes when the steps are the same color as everything else, people can fall because they miss a step because they think they are at the bottom or top already.

Thanks for the support.... I am waiting for the owner to call me. We are using a larger pool company, so first talked with the salesman, then when pool started we had the foreman and now I have had 1 meeting with the owner and waiting on the second. So in the beginning we told the salesman we wanted the flagstone to match (as close to possible) to a patio we have already. I raised concern about the coping color when it was installed but got the default answer of "its a natural stone and can't control the color" so i would wash it down and look at it wet and talk myself into accepting it.... but was never thrilled about it. Well... the stone guys came back after the deck was done to put the rock on steps.... the rock on the first install matched pretty good.... but was not straight and didn't match up to the coping level very well. So I had the owner out and he agreed to replace the steps and would split the cost of any coping stones i wanted replaced. We picked two cause I really didn't want to piece patch coping stones all over. Then the did the stairs yesterday.... I was here when they showed up and talked with them for a while... I saw some of the stones they had and told them it didn't need to be all dark cause it wouldn't match the coping.... Came home from work to the picture I posted. So frustrated.... first that it doesn't match and second its the color we wanted for the coping. Basically it was just enough to push me over the edge. I don't get flustered very easy and don't like conflict and really don't like to complain. Hopefully I get a call soon and can come to a resolution quickly.

The darker colors just match our house better and even the specs in our deck coating match better.... it really hurt to cancel plaster but this needs to be right. Will update later hopefully. Thanks for listening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All the flagstone is coming off the pool, beach entry, and fire pit next week. Went to the stone yard today and picked out pallets of new flagstone. I personally feel this should be required by all pool builders / home builders / landscapers. Our sales man talked about it to us on the day we signed the contract, but never came to be. Anyways.... going to be a mess again here next week..... just hope my tile and decking do not get any damage to them.

I believe it will be well worth it to get what you want! I'm so glad they are going to work with you. I agree - when picking out stone, etc, the owner should have to go pick out what they want. I guess more people than not don't really care which amazes me. Then again, it could be a matter of not knowing any better.

It will be a mess, which I know you aren't looking forward to. But it really is true, once everything is completed, the wait won't matter. I had several big delays due to ordering special tile, changing my mind on where to install it, having the spa coping torn off and redone... At the time it was a Pain In The Neck, but now it seems like it was nothing.

I would insist they cover the decking before they start work - tarps or whatever. Let them know ahead of time you expect that. At the very least, having the tarps down will be a constant reminder to them to be careful. In the long run, it also saves them money from having to make anymore repairs for their damage.

Congrats on getting through this hurdle!
Suz.

As someone who has had their coping pulled up multiple times (four times in some places) I can say something will get damaged. Try to expect it and just know it will get fixed too. I HIGHLY recommend going out and wiping off your tile and coping once they replace it to make sure you get off the extra grout. We have silvermist flagstone which is grey and off-white grout. We have grout EVERYWHERE. Our pool was beautiful and now looks like it's been through the wringer. I have spent countless hours trying to remove it from places it shouldn't be because they were just done with our build and couldn't wait to leave our job. It is looking better, but had I discovered I needed to clean up behind them better I would have saved myself a ton of work.

OK.... so it took a while to find new flagstone.... the flagstone we had picked got delivered but was determined it was not thick enough... if we used it then the mortar would be very thick. So we waited and waited for new stone to arrive to the stone yard. Finally I went to a couple of other stone yards and found what we needed. Pool company agreed to to get that stone for us. So all the rock got pulled earlier this week and new went on. That did a good job... just a couple of minor things that need to be addressed So maybe we can move along here and finish this thing up. I'm not very concerned with a finish date at this point. Communication with the pool company has been very poor recently and we are just overly frustrated with them. Very poor customer service. Anyways here a few updated pictures the new stone is a bit dirty in the pics still... I will add a before picture for comparison and some that i had sprayed it down.

Before
IMG_3652_zpsicqta6gj.jpg

After
IMG_3791_zpstyzt3l9f.jpg

IMG_3793_zpsifqu3ufi.jpg

IMG_3798_zpsm2mg2ae8.jpg

Sprayed Down
IMG_3803_zpsnvhthuxw.jpg

IMG_3802_zps0yd9bldc.jpg

Wow! That is really really beautiful!!

can you tell me about your fire pit? Are you burning wood or is it gas? I'm wanting to have one with my build and LOVE a wood fire. I'm thinking a gas starter as well but not an all gas fire pit. Would love to know about yours!

Nursenini... We went back and forth on wood vs gas. I wanted gas and my wife wanted a wood burning one. We ended up going with wood. To do gas it would of been about $1500 more. We have a gas fireplace in the house so I let the wife win on this one. Hope to put it to use pretty soon!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.