Pool build in Oklahoma 1st time pool owner

They finished the rebar and started doing some kind of plumbing stuff. Inspection for electrical bonding should be tomorrow and then gunite will be scheduled. I am confused about the white pvc pipes sticking out over my large swim out and some of the other places, will they clip those? I know it is a silly question but I have no clue about some of this stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Kim-you said I should start measuring, should I start from the top of the rebar and go up to the ground? And my builder said it would be 12" of gunite, does that not sound right?

When I say measure I do mean from the top of the rebar to level with the ground or in your case where the coping will sit. It looks like your rebar comes out of the ground a little.

HE is the one doing the work. I say 3 INCHES (not feet LOL) because that is what I have read on some builds. I am not a builder and I have never had a pool build. I just do a LOT of reading on TFP. I just went and looked at a tape measure and man 12inches is a LOT. I am not saying he is wrong but............

Pipes sticking out............WONDERFUL question...........yes they will cut off as needed. The will add the ends after the plaster is on as a finishing touch.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

I just thought of something............maybe he means it will be 12 inches TOTAL..............as in from the bottom under the rebar to top.

I am curious.....can you do something for me?????? Measure from the ground to the rebar. I wonder how deep it is under there. I see the holders and am wondering how far they hold the rebar off of the ground.

Kim

Gunite should be 3 - 4" above the rebar. This is refered to cover on your drawings. In order to be effective the steel must be covered by a certain thickness of Gunite. The underside of the rebar can be thicker than 3" as necessary to deal with digging tolerances, cave ins, etc...

If the underside is more than 6"of cover they should think about another layer of rebar. However, in pool building this is rarely if ever done.

Hi Jennifer,

Congrats on getting a new pool! Sounds like your family will really enjoy it.

I have no idea what you and your pool builder have discussed and decided on as far as design. It looks like your build is quite advanced.

I learned a lot while interviewing pool builders, and more after it was installed.

Here are few things I learned and would do differently if I could do it again.

Location of pool equipment - Carefully consider the design and layout of the pool --- The pool rep/designer did not know as much as he purported – 30 years of experience? We modified his design. We moved the pool equipment away from the area where we would mostly be sitting or using the pool and into a location in the backyard where it would be less obtrusive.

Landscape – carefully consider what type of landscaping you put in. We went with a tropical theme. There are lots and lots of leaves, flowers, droppings, bird poop, and maintenance to keep it clean and looking nice. If we could go back to the drawing board, we would have selected different palm trees, plants, flowers, and trees, and perhaps reduced the number. Our TOTAL investment in our backyard is over $50,000, not including 100s of hours of blood (literally), sweat, and tears.

Tile or glass at water line - We went with pebble Tec and didn’t have any tile installed at the water line. Big mistake! Our “expert” pool guy should have made a point of discussing this in detail and recommended the tiles!! Our very hard water with lots of minerals causes a real problem for cleaning off the pebble. We should have gone with some kind of ceramic tile at the water line to make it easier to clean off the deposits.

Umbrella Sleeves – It would have been nice to have 6 more pool sleeves for holding an umbrella. Their cost is insignificant and being able to place an umbrella where you want it is REALLY a big thing here in sunny AZ.

Salt cell vs. Ozonator - Another design/cost consideration was the salt system vs. ozone generator. We went with the ozonator and a floaty with chlorine pucks for controlling the chlorine and chemistry. I’m sure this subject is controversial. The replacement cost of the salt cell and salt chemistry being more corrosive was a deterrent for me.

Pop ups - The other design consideration that is really nice is the pop ups.

Warrantees – Unfortunately our well known and reputable our pool builder went bankrupt and out of business 1 year after they built our pool. All the lifetime warrantees on our equipment as part of the build completely disappeared.

Best of luck with your new pool.

Randy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.