Rental Pool doesn't register chlorine

The K2006 kit has enough CYA reagent to run half a dozen tests if I recall correctly - that should be plenty to get your baseline data. The reagents that people are telling you to get more of are the ones used in the high level chlorine test (FAS-DPD test), which you will need if you proceed with a SLAM.

When you run the CYA test you may find it hard to be sure where the test endpoint is reached; that is a common experience, as that particular test is more subjective than the other tests in the kit. To get more practice with the CYA test, without wasting reagents, pour the sample from the viewing tube back into the little dispensing bottle and just run the test again with the same sample. Some people find it useful to do this three or four times initially, to get more practice with the test procedure.

See Test Kits Compared. 8 CYA tests in the Taylor K-2006; 16 in the TFTestkits TF-100. About 25 chlorine tests in the K-2006 and 70 in the TF-100. The reagents for that test are R-0870, R-0871, R-0003 where the first two are used the most (the R-0003 is only 5 drops, but the R-0871 is typically 10 or more drops depending on FC level and sample size).

I'm still not sure how many tests will be run during a SLAM. Since the .75oz will handle 25 tests, 2oz will handle 66 tests. Is that enough for a SLAM, or should I get the 16oz size? Will 10g of the R-0870 be enough for a SLAM?

I'm still not sure how many tests will be run during a SLAM. Since the .75oz will handle 25 tests, 2oz will handle 66 tests. Is that enough for a SLAM, or should I get the 16oz size? Will 10g of the R-0870 be enough for a SLAM?
That is where we can't really give you an answer. As with many things in life, it depends....

You will test FC every time you add chlorine. If you are going to,the house 3 times a day, thats at least 3 tests. Looking at the pool,,I'm going to guess two weeks or longer so 42ish tests.

Noone can tell you how much or how long, as each situation is different.
Looking at your picture and reading your descriptions, you are going to need a tanker truck full of bleach and two or three weeks to get some control over the algae. You should hsve ordered the TF 100 because you get more reagents, you will need that. Probably 2 years worth.

Not trying to scare you, but you've let that pool get away from you for years, a fix won't come easy or cheap. Once you get it correct, gravy from then on, especially if you spring for the SWG system.

Unfortunately, the recommendation was "Order a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit." Since there wasn't a recommendation of one over the other, I just went on price. Now I know there is a difference between the two.

The pictures are actually 3 years old. The algae isn't anywhere as bad now, but it isn't good, either. There was no algae this past spring.

For 42 tests, the 2oz of reagent sounds like it should be plenty, whereas 16oz would be overkill.

I'll report my test results the end of next week, and then we can determine the timing and steps for the rest of the cleanup.

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've ordered from Amato also in the past, based on price, and was pleased with the transaction. More recently, after spending considerable time on this site, and realizing what a valuable volunteer resource it is, I buy refills from tftestkits - prices are good (even if not the absolute cheapest you can find on some items), and it helps support this site.

You'll know more once you get a reliable CYA number. If your CYA is high, as you suspect it is, you will have to SLAM at high FC levels. To measure high FC levels, you will use more of the 0871 reagent, since that is a drop count test - high FC levels require lots of drops. Someone SLAMming at 35 ppm will go through more reagent than someone else SLAMming at 16 ppm.

The usual water sample size during a SLAM is 10 ml (2 drops for each ppm of FC, and for each ppm of CC in the second part of the test procedure). To save reagent you could go with a carefully measured 5 ml sample for the bulk of your SLAM, which means you use one drop for each ppm measured. When you get near the end, and want to accurately measure overnight chlorine loss, be sure to go back to a larger sample size.

I suspect your costs for chlorinating liquid will far outstrip reagent costs in the long run.

We look forward to your first test results!

Thank you for your feedback. I continue to learn from each new interaction.

I have a suggestion to any engineers who may be following this post. Not everyone has ideal vision, so coming up with a digital meter for these tests would be handy and more accurate than comparing subtle changes in color. I think you'd do very well by inventing such a meter.

It makes no sense to produce things that aren't accurate, just so people can fool themselves into believing it is easier. What I hope for is someone coming up with an accurate meter. There are people who do come up with simple solutions. My son is like that, but his patents are primarily aerospace related. I believe this would be more in line with electronics engineering.

I work with color inspection cameras all the time. I can tell you from experience, color is the hardest thing to deal with. If you have complete control of the lighting and test environment, then it might be possible to make a sensor to do this. I've been thinking about what all it would take, ever since I started working with a few colorblind TFP folks.

OP Have you called around to see if there is a Reverse osmosis in your area? It is not very common BUT I think it is in your area. It can lower your CYA levels. It will cost you but...............what with the water problems there and you not being there it might be an idea worth looking into.

Once you have the CYA down and the algae cleared the pool will be SO much easier and cheaper to keep the pool up.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.