Automatic Pool Filler? Worth having?

Nov 29, 2014
North Bergen, NJ
So we were discussing the pool installation with the builder that is putting up our home.. We are having a pool company come in to do the actual pool install but are using the plumber and electrician from our builder for all the runs between house and filter/heater. Anyway, we were discussing what was going where and the plumber noticed that a "backflow preventer" was put down on the permit application from pool store.. He asked if I was installing an automatic water filler which is something I didn't even know about.. I never discussed it with my pool company and it was never something we talked about doing.. The plumber then advised that the backflow preventer would be needed if I was running a water line to the pool.. I told him that we didn't have any intentions of running a water line and we were just doing the standard pool install with the exception of the heater.. So I guess there is a new decision for our pool install.. Is it worth getting an automatic pool filler? I am thinking that the water level wont drop that much but we haven't had a pool before.. I am thinking that worst case we can just drag the hose to the pool to top off when needed, but if its something that will be a weekly event then it might be worth it to just do the auto filler.

In my personal experience, the autofil isnt worth it.

Your PB is likely charging you several hundred dollars (or more) for that. Its a great idea though, but mine never did work right or make me happy.
Mine was problematic in that the float in teh autofill was difficult to adjust and keep it there. I was always having to fool with the float level. And when the water got low enough for the thing to add water, the stream of water provided by the autofill is rather small. It was forever running (trickling rather) and it sounds like a toilet tank filling constantly. It irritated me beyond belief. So I just turned the thing off.

Im in texas and its hot here in summer and I loose about 2 inch a week to evaporation. About once a week, I stick the water hose in the pool and add water back.
I have a 15K pool and it takes about 30 to 45 minutes to add that much water. So I dont forget, I turn on my oven timer to buzz and remind me to turn off the water.

At the end of the day I suppose it comes down to what you like and dont like or how much hands on or hands off time you want to spend on pool stuff.

I wish I had the several hundred dollars that I spent on my autfill back!

In my recent pool build, I paid just over $100 to have an autofill installed. This included the valve (looks like the inside of a toilet to me), the deck well, an anti-siphon device, shutoff valve, and more than 100' of PVC water line. I haven't had to adjust it since it was installed, and it keeps my water at the perfect level. I have high confidence that it's not over-filling my pool, because I don't seem to find that my water spills into my pool overflow drain unless it's raining or the kids are really aggressively swimming. As mentioned, it does fill very slowly, but it fills the water as soon as it spills out.

I'm really glad I installed it, because the intake skimmer for my in-floor cleaning system is rather sensitive to low water levels. I say go for it. They're great. They're inexpensive. And you can always turn it off at the valve if you hate it.

Similar sentiments to what Divin Dave said. We have one but don't use it. If the pool develops a leak at some time, the autofill will hide that fact, possibly until you get an enormous water bill. If you don't install one now, you may want to have some pipes laid to make it easier in case you change your mind. I think a general purpose faucet plumbed close to the pool is a better solution than an a autofill.

I love my autofill and overflow. Never have to worry about filling or draining. We did have a leak a couple of years ago and it was very easy to see it on the water bill, but it was only like 40 bucks higher. Ours has worked great for three years. At first it was a bit of a pain because it was constantly filling. But, once I set the water level about an inch below the overflow it works great. Ours looks like a toilet float too.

And they used Pex to run the line. I dug up the line, cut it and plumbed in two hose spigots and an outdoor bathroom later.

I think that because you live in NJ you will not need an auto filler. Unlike Divin Dave in Texas, you will not lose a lot of water in your pool due to evaporation and the rain fall will make up for it. I live in MA and have not had to add any water this year. Last year I had to let some water out of the pool.

...another consideration is whether or not you have an under coping auto-cover that retracts underground. Why does that make a difference?

Certain configurations of an underground auto-cover have a concrete chamber that's dug into the ground at one end of the pool. That "chamber is where the wound up auto-cover lives when it's retracted. The wall that joins the pool with that chamber is often cut down short, to about standard water level height. Because that chamber is fitted with a "sewer" drain (so the it doesn't fill with rain water and damage the auto-cover mechanism) a stuck auto-fill will constantly overflow into that chamber and down the "sewer" drain without ever showing any indication at the pool.

Without an auto pool cover, at least you would see the water level rise form a stuck valve. With an auto-cover, you wouldn't see any water level rise from a stuck valve but you'd certainly see it on your water bill.

I live at the same latitude as you do - just about 30 miles west. While I have an ABG, it does get full sun. I added water once this season, and that was during this last dry stretch, after we had a particularly splashy bunch of people in the pool. I also drained water twice this season - towards the beginning, when it was raining a lot.

-dave

I live at the same latitude as you do - just about 30 miles west. While I have an ABG, it does get full sun. I added water once this season, and that was during this last dry stretch, after we had a particularly splashy bunch of people in the pool. I also drained water twice this season - towards the beginning, when it was raining a lot.

-dave

Come to Florida this year. I have to drain at least 3-4 times per week for the last month due to all the rain we have been getting. I need to drain a good six inches right now. I guess I will take this over a hurricane though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.